Facebook
Volume 92 Issue 23 | p. 10 | News of The Week
Issue Date: June 9, 2014 | Web Date: June 5, 2014

Maker Of Rat Poison d-CON To Pull Products

Pesticides: Reckitt Benckiser to phase out 12 d-CON rodenticides in response to EPA safety concerns
Department: Government & Policy
News Channels: Environmental SCENE
Keywords: pesticides, EPA, Reckitt Benckiser, rat poison, rodent control, rodenticides
This d-CON product is one of 12 that Reckitt Benckiser has agreed to stop manufacturing.
Credit: Reckitt Benckiser
09223-notw6-dconcxd

Credit: Reckitt Benckiser

After a long battle with federal officials, Reckitt Benckiser, maker of d-CON rat and mouse poisons, has voluntarily agreed to stop manufacturing 12 of its products by the end of this year. Distribution of the products to retailers will cease by March 31, 2015.

The company’s action comes after the Environmental Protection Agency moved to ban the 12 d-CON products last year, saying they do not meet the agency’s safety standards and “pose unreasonable risks to children, pets, and wildlife.” Reckitt Benckiser contested EPA’s decision, which put the ban on hold.

EPA welcomes the new agreement with Reckitt Benckiser because the deal will get the products off the market sooner than if the agency had to continue legal proceedings. “This voluntary move will get us far faster results than would otherwise be achieved through an administrative process,” says Jim Jones, assistant administrator for EPA’s Office of Chemical Safety & Pollution Prevention.

12 Rodent Poison Products Affected By Phaseout

◾ d-CON Concentrate Kills Rats & Mice
◾ d-CON Ready Mixed Kills Rats & Mice
◾ d-CON Mouse Prufe Kills Mice
◾ d-CON Pellets Kills Rats & Mice
◾ d-CON Mouse-Prufe II
◾ d-CON Pellets Generation II
◾ d-CON Bait Pellets II
◾ d-CON Ready Mixed Generation II
◾ d-CON Mouse-Prufe III
◾ d-CON Bait Pellets III
◾ d-CON II Ready Mix Baitbits III
◾ d-CON Bait Packs III

The 12 d-CON products are sold to consumers as pellets or powder, not in tamper-resistant bait stations. EPA has required that rodent control products sold to consumers be enclosed in such protective stations since 2011.

In addition, eight of the 12 d-CON products contain what are called second-generation anticoagulants—brodifacoum or difethialone. These rodent poisons are more toxic and persistent in the environment than first-generation compounds such as warfarin. Second-generation substances have been banned in consumer products since 2011 because of their toxicity to wildlife.

Under the agreement, the replacement d-CON products will not contain second-generation anticoagulants and will be sold in protective stations. Reckitt Benckiser previously cited concerns about alternative products that contain a neurotoxin which, unlike d-CON ingredients, has no known antidote. “The new d-CON bait products for sale will continue to utilize effective ingredients for which an antidote is readily available and which do not contain a neurotoxin,” the company says.

The agreement comes just one month before California is expected to implement a ban on the sale of second-generation anticoagulant rat poisons. Reckitt Benckiser unsuccessfully tried to delay that ban, which takes effect on July 1.

Comments
Gayle (August 19, 2014 1:54 PM)
I've tried to new stuff without the D Con AND IT DOESN"T WORK> The rats are not attracted to it. Pleae keep on with the D Con.
Brittany (October 25, 2014 7:27 PM)
Seriously, I have a rat in my kitchen now terrorizing me crunching loudly on food, and I've been searching high and low for this product. Nothing else works. Who paid someone to take this off the shelves?? Probably competitors. This O.G. product works!!! Help nothing else is working!
Vladmir Jackofski (December 14, 2014 9:04 PM)
Profits over cures once again! OMG we're all of a suddenly so concerned about wild life accidentally eating this bait. BS!
Paulette (October 12, 2015 5:07 PM)
I personally believe it goes deeper than competitors and profits....the wildlife is only a concern to them now because of the implementation of AGENDA 21...does the word "sustainability" ring a bell? a favorite word of the makers of AGENDA 21. this is becoming the worlds new way of life brought to you by the folks of the UN implemented at the state, city & county levels. Look into this and you will learn how wildlife is going to become more valued than you or I. This is not a joke. They have big plans that are already in full force, by the year 2030 life will be quite different here on mother earth.
Doug (December 26, 2015 7:19 PM)
Or, how about the over population problem we have according to the elite? We are now unable to kill mice and rats, and these rodents are responsible for the plague that decimated the world's population not long ago. Watch for more plague in the near future. Agenda 21 wants to kill us any way possible.
Larry (January 4, 2016 9:38 AM)
this once again is an OBAMA agenda idea carried out by the not so hard working left that allows gov. to control our lives. WAKE UP AMERICA !!!!!!!! Next is gun control today by the all mighty KING OBAMA to take away guns so we can't even shoot the rats.
Anonymous (February 3, 2016 1:47 PM)
I bought your product to kill rats and now I can not because of your recall. you had a product that worked and you have did away with it. Why mess with a product that was good now I have to find another product that kills rats. I want be buying yours.
Steve (March 6, 2016 8:53 PM)
I found a that does work It's called One Bite . You will find it at live stock feed stores. The only thing is that when the rat or mouse dies that it might start smelling . With D-con it dried them up. No stink.
John Sander (April 21, 2016 1:59 PM)
Disappointed- A few years ago I went to my pest control store to buy small packages of poison that I used to control the chipmunks that collapsed my sidewalk and were around the foundation of my home! to find the bins empty. They were banned. I could however hire them to place the same packs in my holes since they were (pros) for a hundred bucks. BS!!!! Now I cannot even buy DCon. I need to protect my investment (MY HOME)
NIC (April 1, 2016 9:15 AM)
You sound ridiculous accusing Obama for product they are dicontinuing, this has absolutely nothing to do with him take that mess some where else, now to the matter at hand I agree with everyone else D Con is the only one that works this is really disappointing.
Virginia (May 26, 2016 7:24 AM)
Does dcon pellets get rid of chipmunks? They have at least 50 holes in our lawn causing dead grass areas. I just want to know they. If they disappear with this. I have tried everything else.
Anabel  (June 10, 2016 2:34 PM)
I am so disappointed! This is the only thing that worked the pellets got rid of those nasty little rodents so quick and I have now atleast 3 in my house, as I live in rural area and nothing has helped get rid of them, used glue traps the stations, the new dcon stations, nothing!! THE Original worked wonders!! UGH now I even tried home remedies and everything NOTHING IS WORKING If ANYONE FINDS SOMETHING ELSE THAT THEY HAVE TRIED AND HAS HELPED PLEASE PLEASE LET US ALL KNOW~
NUJENT (March 23, 2016 12:14 PM)
You hit it right on the head. The power that be aren't concerned with the citizenry. They just want to make sure that when "they" kill off most of the worlds population to maintain a population of 500,000,000, the wildlife will be pristine for "them".
Lisa Dietter (November 6, 2015 11:19 AM)
You have to thank the EPA for forcing this off the market. We will all now be hosting rats and mice on our property. The diseases, fleas etc. that rats and mice carry will start to ramp and they will share what they have. They rats and mice will now be able to enter our homes (kitchens, basements, bedrooms and wherever they want to go.

Thank you EPA, you just made our live more unhealthy!
debbie (December 21, 2015 3:31 PM)
I found a few boxes left on shelves...I agree with all comments that this product was the only thing that worked.
mike n (January 23, 2016 7:09 PM)
I agree. I used the new bait blocks since they had come out and they DO NOT WORK. not even a scratch on the blocks. They sit there looking like the day I set them out. I seems that when something works well it gets changed. Even a lot of the snap traps are different and do not works as well. I live in a country setting.
Suzy (February 8, 2016 8:27 PM)
I agree completely. I have a summer cottage in the woods and in the past D-con granules took care of my mouse problem. Now they WILL NOT TOUCH THE NEW PRODUCT AND THE MICE ARE IN EVERYTHING, I saw 4 in my bedroom closet at one time. This is totally ridiculous. Someone said to try peppermint oil, well it was expensive and only worked for a couple of days. Does anyone have any ideas that will actually get rid of mice HELP!!!
Carol C (January 29, 2015 12:19 PM)
Please pull d-con off shelves ASAP. Bad people use it to poison peoples pets!
randall peevey (March 29, 2015 7:22 AM)
They are going to quit letting them sale anything that works just like they have done with the roach and flea products
Laura M (April 9, 2015 2:17 PM)
It's not a case of prohibiting sale of effective products, but of the development of resistance within pest populations to pesticides. Some people prefer to grab an aerosol can and squirt a toxic product than to pick up a foot and step on the spider walking across the floor.

As for the people who think rodenticides are the only effective means of killing rodents, please try traps. They work much better, and the dying animal can't crawl off into a wall void to rot (a serious problem unless you are fond of a certain odor and the flies that develop in animal carcasses).

Pets and wildlife are usually poisoned by eating the "slow moving mice" that have consumed toxic bait. The poisoned (but still moving) rodents are much easier for your Labrador to catch.
Kat (October 23, 2015 11:38 AM)
Laura M

And what about those people here in the north who close up their cabins and go south for the winter. They are supposed to come up once a week and empty and re-set traps? I agree that traps are best when you are on the premises regularly, however not all people have the ability to do that so it's not just as simple as "Please try traps".
Suzy (February 8, 2016 8:29 PM)
Yes, I have the same problem - can't empty the traps when I'm not there. Even when I am there, I usually catch a mouse the first time I put the trap out and then never again.
diana farr (February 15, 2016 9:05 AM)
these baits they have out now DO NOT WORK only the pellets work-Im so mad. I hope whose every idea this was have lots of rats running around their house Amen
dwc (November 25, 2015 9:42 PM)
I had some rats in a shed i tried every kind of trap I could buy or make and none worked, they had learned to avoid them. I talked with a mammalogist friend who is the best rat trapper perhaps in the US and took his advice but they avoided the traps. D Con worked.
Nancy (December 5, 2015 2:02 AM)
Thank you for your comment. I cannot agree more. Plus we see dogs & cats come in that the owner does not know what happened & we have to search for the cause. The owners did not put out D-con. Many pets die before the cause can be determined. So sad!
joyce (July 1, 2016 11:16 AM)
FYI ~ Beware of Sago Palms! Unbeknownst to many, they are EXTREMELY toxic to dogs, which almost always causes a VERY nasty death as it poisons internal organs. Not all vets are aware so pass the word.
Bob B (March 23, 2016 9:43 PM)
Also no longer manufactured... dormant sprays containing lime and sulphur.
stan wells (May 18, 2015 11:32 AM)
well, please keep your pets out of other peoples yards
Suzette (July 7, 2015 3:12 PM)
It isn't always peoples pets getting into others yards. Just yesterday my dog was in HIS yard and consumed a portion of an open box of d-con that the neighbor placed in MY YARD to kill a groundhog. Luckily I was able to rush him the vets where he is now getting treatment and will survive. So please don't assume that it is always the victims fault. It is not!!!!! I don't believe in using poison and would have never consented to the use of it in my yard.
Meleven (October 8, 2015 5:03 PM)
Wow Suzette, I'm surprised at how well you took your neighbor putting poison in your yard & that your dog was poisoned by it? Your story really isn't credible - MOST ppl would be outraged by what you claim!
Kat (October 23, 2015 11:42 AM)
Meleven,

Just because a person doesn't air all their grievances in a way that you see fit, does not mean they are making up a story to gain support.
Greg (August 11, 2015 8:34 PM)
Pull a good product because of miss use the American way !!!
Carey Gerig (November 1, 2015 8:42 PM)
Bad people can use other options to kill pets but just wait till a rat comes after your pet because it can't be poisoned and killed. I put some Tomcat mouse poison out, because that is all I can find, and it has been out for over a week. The mice haven't touched it. I found some Dcon mouse poison put it out and it was gone in a couple of days. what good is rodent poison when the rodents won't eat it? I bet the Tomcat company is really taking advantage of this whole thing.
Andy (March 22, 2016 10:19 AM)
Won't stop me. I always just shoot them :)...then throw them out in the woods
Dnay (July 24, 2015 11:26 PM)
I am very disappointed with the decision to pull the products. I have used the rat poison in the triangle box and had amazing results. I am very responsible with it. Now it is no longer around and the new stuff does NOT work. The rat is living it up in my garden. I am very sad to see the product go :(
Peggy  (December 5, 2015 8:42 PM)
Gayle I agree with you this new mess does not work the mice don't go in the little plastic box I went as far as to open it and crunch it up the mice has not touched it
Bernice Schwisow (January 19, 2016 1:33 PM)
yeah your new stuff does not work for mice,They even got inside my large bag of the squares was eating them and i only had 2 pkgs left, i've use that plus a box of them it don't work
Whitaker (March 23, 2016 9:22 PM)
You are right it does not work at all unless they can come up with something better will not buy anymore. It's been out for 4 weeks and not even touched. Can see the rats running around..
Amoinz (June 15, 2016 5:28 AM)
New d con that is not the old blue pellets does not work
Bob (August 20, 2014 2:06 PM)
Try cleaning around where you live. Don't leave seeds and bird feed out. Buy a cat. Any thing that does kill other animals after they fed on the poisoned rats
grant (October 18, 2014 6:56 AM)
cats rarely do the job and kill anything but rats. Even keeping the place clean won't prevent rats living in your warm dry space. Rat trap with a hair trigger is best, most humane(?), instantaneous death. Most homes will have a rat at one point. Rats do a good job of staying out of the way and undetected for the most part. The only way I know if we have a rat is holes bored in the bread!
Brittany (October 25, 2014 7:32 PM)
Right, I've had a cat that sometimes killed mice and other times just looked at the mice running around, like I don't feel like chasing right now. Dogs are effective if they can catch the rodent. At least my chow and chow mix are. They have killed several mice outside. The problem is once they get in the house its hard to catch them. Decon works!!! I'm so sad I can't find it in stores.
Ron Perkins (October 27, 2014 1:24 PM)
Yeah but there chewing the wires under hood of my truck??
Gotta have transport. Got any ideas to keep them out??
Chris (January 18, 2015 10:09 PM)
Moth balls should keep mice from coming around. I fixed my neighbors transmission wires twice - we figured it was mice eating the wires. One day he popped the hood and saw a big fat rabbit in there... he moved the car around the corner and it stopped.
jack (February 28, 2016 2:53 PM)
I live in the country and have tried cats, over 30 of them. I still had mice and rats and a lot of fat coyotes and bob cats.
Zelz oswald (July 15, 2016 10:52 PM)
Zelz July 15 2016 youre wrong cats will catch the rat or mouse and tear up your home and furniture doing it.If you have an infestation you're lucky if they catch one or two.decon always worked but the problem now days is most folks have to take a class on how to use it a little common sense and responsibility
C.Merrell (September 16, 2014 1:56 AM)
Dcon is the best.Let the consumer decide.....not the idiot that sits behind a desk tweedling thumbs and coming up with dumb ideas to take away a great product!!!
James, the pet owner (October 13, 2014 6:33 PM)
I'm all for any action that saves pets. I'm so blasted tired of idiots putting out rat poison and killing my animals! What's wrong with Americans? ? ? PS. Maybe you haven't heard, but cats kill mice and rats. . .
linda (December 6, 2014 1:43 AM)
What you SHOULD do is protect your animals. The rat and mouse problem can be a huge problem. Sooo, I guess people should run behind them and catch them if we can right? If you have a better solution, please let me know.
Cheryl (February 11, 2015 11:23 PM)
Outside their own yard, pets should be leashed at all times (cats too). They should be supervised, at least with a watchful eye from a window with a clear view, in a yard even with a 6-foot fence. As a vet tech, I've witnessed the tragic results of poisoning, and even more hit by cars and wounded in attacks by both cats and dogs. Irresponsible pet ownership makes everyone suffer. People who love their pets invest time and energy in their happiness. My first cat lived to go outdoors; he and I walked hundreds of miles together in his 18 years, and his young replacement is following in his footsteps.
Suzy (February 8, 2016 8:36 PM)
James - I have 4 cabins that I rent out. Without D-Con they are crawling with mice and this is very bad as most people freak out when they see a mouse and want me to give them their money back : ( My cabins are very clean but they are in the woods and there is no way to avoid mice. D-Con was my best bet.
William (July 23, 2016 6:21 PM)
Thank you for not having D-con. You were poisoning mice, which in turn were being consumed by owls. The owls around your cabin were dying because of you. I am glad you can't use D-con anymore!
Bryan (February 28, 2016 11:21 PM)
Well James, How about you and the others against this product come over and show me how effective your way is at getting rid of mice and rats. Or any of the other folks who used this product. The success rate of D-con was almost 100%. Now we get to deal with a growing rodent population with no real solution. Once again the ones with out a problem are making the decisions for the people dealing with the problems!! P.S. Cats don't do the job!!!!!!!
William (July 23, 2016 6:23 PM)
Install an owl box on your property. I have a family of owls in my yard and have no mice in my house. They eat 8+ mice per night! First year in my house I caught 20 mice, once the owls moved in I haven't had one!
Spencer (October 23, 2014 1:52 AM)
I am so tired of control freaks trying to make domestic decisions for people they don't even know. Let the consumers handle the situations the way they see fit, and stop trying to punish the people who do right just because there are idiots who don't. If people mess up and don't protect their cats from their rat poison, that is just an unfortunate side effect of freedom. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

D-con is a phenomenal weapon against rat invasions. Think about that the next time you see a rat running through your living room. It is really unfortunate that it has to go away now because the concept of individual responsibility is falling off the map.
tsali ticonderoga (October 23, 2014 5:36 PM)
Glad dcon is banned. I had a cat accidentally get it to some somewhere and die. I dont use the junk.
dana guilbeau (April 4, 2016 4:25 AM)
In sorry about your pet , I have many myself , but you should have put them in a place out of reach , I have used d-con for years , worked 100% every time.
The only thing that worked , we must keep poisons and chemicals out of reach of children and animals (all the time)
William (July 23, 2016 6:34 PM)
The cat probably ate a poisoned mouse. Happens fairly often with owls and other birds of prey. Just because the poison is out of reach, doesn't mean thousands of birds of prey, cats, and dogs do not die from eating poisoned mice. The mice stay alive for up to 12 days.
Cassandra (December 2, 2014 10:00 PM)
Anything that uses poison should be banned. Children put everything in their mouth, and it only takes one time. One child or pet that is poisoned is one too many.
Gene (January 11, 2016 12:44 AM)
It isn't the kids fault! It is the irresponsible parents fault! Anyone with even a little bit of a brain will put the poison where the kids and pets can't get to it! Just because of a few stupid people, everyone has to suffer.
Charles (February 6, 2016 2:12 PM)
Amen and amen........looks like we may all have plastic forks to eat with soon.
Thomas (December 9, 2014 5:03 AM)
I make and package d-con and at the end of this month 100 factory workers including me will either loose their jobs or be moved to a new product
Hookjaw Brown (December 16, 2014 12:37 PM)
In the middle ages, rats were known to chew on babies in their cribs. Cats were not a match for rats and thus were bred rat terriers and such dog breeds. By banning anticoagulant rat poisons, there will be an explosion of rats. Just as a side note, my son takes warfarin (coumadin) daily to maintain his synthetic heart valve.
Henry (December 23, 2014 3:19 PM)
I'd suggest looking up 'natural remedies for rats and mice'. I'd much prefer to use something natural than a poison.
A.Chandrasekaran (December 29, 2014 11:25 AM)
I don't understand the problem here.

1. Some seem to think that we have only one choice for rats/mice (that is D-con). Same way some people claim(ed) we have no choice but to use Thimerosal in baby vaccines.
2. Fully removing D-con does not seem to be warranted either! They were in safe stations and could have been modified to keep the mouse/rat inside or some other judicious/safe methods. Again same narrow thinking that there is only one solution (to ban fully?).

Are we underestimating ourselves or are we really that bad?
Maria (December 30, 2014 5:23 PM)
Our shop is surrounded by field and we get flooded with mice in the office/shop/building all year long. D-Con is the only product that works. We have Clark Pest Control stop by regularly and they can’t stop the mice. I have to go out a buy D-Con and put it all over the office and shop. The product needs to be placed in hard to reach areas like behind washer/dryer, under cabinets along the wall, in any area that is isolated from children and pets. As an adult you need to protect your children and pets and if you put the poison in any area your children or pets can get to it then you are at fault not the manufacture. Mice live in walls under floors in the attic NOT your living room, kitchen, bathroom, bedroom or garage they only come out to eat and they will eat anything anywhere. Its people suing company’s for a quick buck that make it easy for government to take away a good product.
Maria (December 30, 2014 5:24 PM)
Jerrie Reese (January 6, 2015 11:49 AM)
The "new" D-con doesn't work. We ran out of the old and bought the new and now we are hearing signs of mice and/or rats again. Consumers desperately need the old green D-Con pellets. As others have said it's not the product that is dangerous its how people use it that is the problem. Some of us have brains and don't leave it where children and pets can get at it.
Suzette (July 7, 2015 3:14 PM)
It is sad, but there are very few people who use this product in the correct way. Common sense is no longer common in our world today.
Bryan (February 28, 2016 11:32 PM)
Suzette, How do you know?
Mike (January 16, 2015 12:09 AM)
Thankfully, I don't live in California so I've been able to stockpile the good stuff...I'll never run out! Lol. Just like Diazinon and Chlordane, you just have to stockpile as soon as you hear of a coming ban! :)
Carol C. (January 29, 2015 1:02 PM)
Get rid of the stuff. It is a danger to all pets and wildlife. Some people use it for foul play.
BillHoo (February 18, 2015 3:52 PM)
You can still find the product via online hardware store sites. Looks like they are still selling online until they get rid of their supply by the March 31 2015 deadline.

I was able to get a good supply of the DCON Mouse and Rat baits from a hardware store whose initials contain the letter "HD" via their website.
Delle (June 7, 2015 10:44 PM)
Wow, I think as with cigarettes, alcahol, and even drugs that people should have the right to choose. If you own a pet you should be able to care properly for it and not have poisons in your home to give it the opportunity to get into it. To those that say people have poisoned the pets they have they should be responsible for keeping the pets in the homes/yards that they belong...just saying. Reasonably speaking children have died by getting into detergent pods for the washer and/or dishwasher. Is it the manufacturers fault of the parents that gave them no supervision? Society has become so lazy that we expect everyone else to take care of everything for us with no muss nor fuss. Life has never been than easy, nor should it be. Grow up, get some perspective, I'd like my D-con back but I don't see that happening. So maybe I should find another alternative. I put my last one out, the palmetto bugs just love that stuff, it doesn't kill them either...yuck.
Norm (October 3, 2015 1:39 PM)
I've used the pellets in wedge boxes successfully for years. Now it's gone. Bought 3 of the protected bait traps and they are, after 3 weeks, untouched by rodents. They don't work, period. There are numerous beetles finding the stuff but I don't see any dead bugs either. So, D-con goes the way of many industries in the USA (Think chrome plating and automotive battery manufacturing). The victims of another out of control bureaucratic agency. Oh, that's the same agency that recently released 3 million gallons of highly toxic mine waste into a Colorado river then claimed the water was safe to drink just days later. Where does it stop?
RH CROZIER (January 10, 2016 8:54 AM)
I totally agree. I have had success with the pellets in wedge boxes for years. I have recently tried other d-con products to no avail. Can we return to the wedge boxes?

Dee (October 3, 2015 6:06 PM)
Living in center of acres of corn fields which attract millions of mice. In fall, somehow, they get in the house. DeCon seems to be the only thing that works quickly. Mice are worse than rabbits, one pregnant mouse can take over without quick kill. A lot of common household items are poison, going to eliminate them all? Responsibility reigns. Taking this product off the market is irresponsibility. How gross to have vermin living in your home! The bait now sold doesn't work. Spring traps? Messy, nasty and germ ridden. Mandated by EPA? Figures, they should stick to what they do well, horrible, massive pollution of our rivers. Get rid of the EPA, nothing but tax money sucking environmental disasters.
A. Davis (October 6, 2015 11:49 AM)
Really people? Its a poison. use as directed. Easy as that. Whats next ban all fertilizer? Should ban aspartame, fluoride, and genetic modified foods. I have seven dogs at my place. I just put out 8 boxes of d con last night, all gone this morning, and my pets are still safe. I take care of my animals, I dont assume they are human and let them do as they please. I have one chi-winnie who loves to kill rats, but they are quick and she only gets a few. when she does she only kills them, does not eat them. I had a tom cat for years who killed and ate them, never got sick. People who have a rat problem, mostly due to where they live need this product.
JZ (October 21, 2015 8:15 PM)
Your point is so well taken. Maybe America should stop being controlled by tree huggers. I mean is a poison, treat with respect. Please stop making my purchase decisions for me. I have used this product for years and have raised 7 dogs and 5 cats, without incident. Stop punishing the masses for the few that are stupid. We get a great product that works as advertised, at a reasonable price and the American way is to take it off the market. So now we have the market bear the lack of product that is in high demand and jack the price out of sight. We are talking about a rodent that is responsible for spreading disease and we no longer have a highly effective product that is capable of eradicating that problem. Every fall we get mice coming in from the surrounding fields and the awesome products helps us control the problem, year after year, until now, are gone. I have at least been able to delay facing in infestation of mice because I have found 36 cases of the amazingly effective product at the standard price. Thank you DCON for the successful years of effective mice control. I really am sorry to see you go. I guess all good things must come to an end.
Susan  (October 15, 2015 2:30 PM)
We need d con mouse prufe II back!!!
barb siemiatkowski (October 23, 2015 12:29 PM)
we need the decon rat pellet boxes back. that is all that works
Ronald Wintrick (October 29, 2015 4:45 AM)
The new poisons do not work. The mice are reproducing faster than traps can catch them. Mice are smart, after a few got caught in the traps the mice now avoid them. Every fall I put out the decon pellets and it kills the few mice that come in. It is only October and I have already killed 26 mice and there are more in my house now than ever.
What nonsense.
Brett  (October 30, 2015 12:48 AM)
All of the comments about other methods not working are really true. My mother in-law left her house to stay with my wife's sister and help with the kids. She came to find her clean middle class home being taken over by rats. Local pest control had consulted with her prior to her leaving. Traps were set and all food including cat food was in plastic containers. The rats chewed through the plastic! Chewed through airline tape over her air duct, now they are in the HVAC system. All the ducting has to be removed and replaced. I found this site while looking for D Con in another state than California. I thought only California banned D Con and now I find out it's nationwide!! Unreal. Do we all really think that the Constitution gave the Federal Government the authority to do this? It spells out the Fed Gov's authority and then gives EVERYTHING ELSE to the States. What in the world is happening! Our neighborhood has never had rats before. Ever. We bought her when the homes were brand new so I know. And now our choice of product is kaput. EPA. Right up there with Lois Lehner and the IRS. And all of the comments on responsibility are spot on. 60 years of rat poison use, no pet or child death or injury. Living in America is getting more and more frustrating.
Brett (October 30, 2015 1:19 AM)
I just checked eBay. You can get D-con and some very effective products from England and Australia.
Good luck! It's a rat infested jungle out there!!!
Laura Vaughn (November 4, 2015 7:24 PM)
Yea,we've always used the Dcon RAT Poision and it's always have gotten rid of the RATS,we have tried the new stuff and we're still hearing RATS,my husband has gone to Lowes,Home Depot and even Wal-Mart.Nothing else is working even our dog is in and out of the bed waking us up cause she hears the RATS!!!This is a bunch of crap.my husband gets up at 5:00 a.m and we are steady getting woke up cause of this new stuff just ain't killing these big RATS.Weve always used Dcon RAT Poision and it's always worked so good and now we're being kept awake because this new stuff just ain't working at all,I don't care what the EPA says,if they can get something out here that will kill the RATS like Dcon did well I'm all for it but I won't know until we have something like Dcon out there and we be glad to sign a piece of paper saying we brought the Dcon RAT Poision.We need something for these freakin RATS cause I'm about to go crazy when I here them chewing away,please help people like us,Laura Vaughn
Charmany Smith (December 2, 2015 6:56 AM)
Its for sale on Amazon
Fred Walters (November 7, 2015 4:14 PM)
You know this stuff really worked good I got some last year and went this year looking for more and find they pulled it!!! Anything that works they get rid of I bought some other stuff that's like a small block the mice don't even look at it or eat it. I don't like mice bugs or anything else eating my food how would you like to go to make you a sandwich and find the bread you just ate had a mouse in the bag there is a lot more damage these mice do then that also.This stuff needs to be brought back. REALLY!!!!!!
Markie (November 11, 2015 1:19 PM)
I have purchased the New and Improved version.... TAKE A CLUE!!! IT DOENS'T WORK-I've checked the bait station under my kitchen sink and it has not been touched! I still see the critters zooming around corners and hear them chewing behind my radiators.... Maybe I'll cook up my own poison. Have to get busy on the web and see what is out there.
Greg (November 11, 2015 3:58 PM)
Just look online for the 5 gallon bucket mouse trap. Use antifreeze in cold climates
James (November 13, 2015 7:56 PM)
Fleas on rats was the cause of the Bubonic Plague (Black Plague)in Europe that devastated Europe in 1348-1349 killing perhaps 1/3 of the population-75 million people. A few cases have been confirmed in America this year in 2015. If we are left with no way of effectively killing rats and mice numbers could increase.
The song "Ring around the Rosie" is from 1348-1349 . Ring around the rosie pocket, full of posey, all fall down. A rosie was the red lesion on the skin. Posey was flowers thought to be a possible preventive. All fall down is self explanatory.
lori lady (November 28, 2015 12:01 AM)
I have purchased several/many of the new dcon products and it is only feeding the mice in my home. Thank you government... I will not be purchasing any more of this product because the new product doesn't work! Anything that works "they" ban!
Julie Trujillo (November 30, 2015 6:50 PM)
Please allow D CON to bring back the effective mice and rat killer!!!!!!! I live on a limited income, and I have bought several types of supposedly killer ha ha they don't work. I have never had mice in my house this long, can't seem to get rid of them, they seem to be multiplying faster than I can catch them, again big blunder by the government. I need help.....................
Debbie (December 4, 2015 3:37 PM)
These pellets worked ....Whose bright idea was this...This is so wrong...
nick (December 8, 2015 1:09 PM)
I went to HD to buy DCON because it is the only thing that works. The rats are attracted to the chicken feed and eggs and they bite the chickens to get at it. I will be losing the battle without DCON. The rats in the government have won again!
Diane Peterson (December 14, 2015 11:43 AM)
I believe that the EPA personnel should be forced to live in a country home that has issues with mice. The new d-Con products don't work and neither does Tom Cat brand. What must we do to get the pellets back on the market so we don't have to be exposed to mouse droppings that can be harmful to our health?

Ed (December 17, 2015 5:53 PM)
Best stuff I ever used, and now removed from the market. Follows on the path of the light bulb debacle. Allowing these idiots to determine how we protect ourselves from disease and damage to home and health prods us to make real change in the manner in which we are governed. The sooner these fools are replaced by common sense, the better off we will be.
Yeah Right (December 18, 2015 4:20 AM)
I live in the country in Hawaii and I have to think that the people who banned this have no clue as to what people have to deal with. I have battled rats the size of cats here for years and the d-con pellets are the only thing that lets me stay ahead of them.

I have had rats eat right through the heater vents in my truck to see what was inside. They eat through five gallon buckets, trash cans, the walls, the roof, chicken wire, and even climb the fruit and avocado trees and eat a little bit of each fruit, they even eat the ends out of coconuts and then eat the inside, at least a few bites of each one. All this can be stopped with a few strategically placed trays of pellets. Strategically placed so that children, pets, and livestock don't get sick.

People who think you can just use traps are evidently from a different planet than me.

I'm very sad to see d-con pellets go. Feels like bits and pieces of America are slipping away to people who don't appear to know anything about Americans. Sort of like the old story of government officials wanting to fire all the cattle guards in the west to save money. If you don't know what a cattle guard is then you should not be making rules about them.

Do we really have to be protected completely to death? You know if the government put us all in jars and froze us it would cost much less to feed us, nobody would go around getting hurt and all the little animals and fish would be safe from us bad humans. Government officials could get a free pass to use d-con so that the rats would not eat the electrical cables to our freeze jars and they know how to use it responsibly, so you know everything would be wonderful.

You have to ask yourself, what is really going on here, who and what is this really for? What is the real goal? Why systematically destroy American companies, products that work and drive out cash flow?

Thank you d-con Nazi patrol.
Ms . E (December 18, 2015 9:33 PM)
Bring back the pellets!! This new stuff is not working. They do not even go into the box to eat the stuff. Plus it's not green anymore it's now brown. Why the coklor change? It's been around for years and working well now they want to change it. Ever hear of "Don't fix it if it ain't broken."
Jeff (December 22, 2015 2:42 PM)
Once again EPA goes too far, another stupid democrat idea office is bloated, they need to keep busy because no one will hire him with the dumbass degrees they have , I have had this crap out for six months it hasn't even been gnawed on, thanks EPA, jerks. I guess I'll have to resort to the snap traps which end up killing more birds than rats.
frederick hubbard  (December 24, 2015 1:00 PM)
and I'm gonna spend hundreds of dollars to buy all i can off ebay! and use it wisely!!!
Bruce Binion (December 27, 2015 12:47 PM)
I have used D-Con for years with my cattle operation; never had any problems with cats or owls or anything else who might have eaten poisoned mice. If I had a problem, I would have had to re-think what I was doing. Mine is a natural herd operation so I am concerned about all parts of the environment. This Fall when I could not get my normal D-Con, I was upset but I bought the so-called "equivalent" to D-Con only to find that no one eats it.

I think the EPA should supply everyone with barn owls at no cost for mice and eagles for rats. Apparently that is where these government folks lacking in common sense want us to go.
nick (December 28, 2015 10:14 PM)
Be smart read all directions and do any extra steps necessary when using a pest control then it won't get banned for people who actually need the product it's common sense
Susan Wirths (December 31, 2015 4:59 PM)
As always, if you find something that works you had better buy enough to last a lifetime because they will quit making it. Get real people. This is poison and you treat it as such. You don't put It where children and animals can access it. I have used it for many years and have raised children and grandchildren and had a dog in the house for thirteen years. I am so upset that it no longer is available.
Daryl Schulz (January 4, 2016 8:01 PM)
I need the envelopes with poison in them . I can't get close to some of the places that I need poison to be so I can throw the envelopes where I want them . If you throw the bait stations they come open
Steve (January 5, 2016 12:39 PM)
Its January 5, 2016 and the ground is still barely frozen. No snow YET, despite the loons who argue global warming, claiming record snow falls over the midwest.

My mouse problem is totally out of control. Now they are in places I never found them in years prior. Global warming, or what have you, we have more mice attacking more buildings, cars, assets than ever. I searched every store, and no more pellets in trays. They worked vastly better than any other product of all the brands and versions of cubes out there.

Thank you EPA for your myopic principled ridiculous rules that have nothing to do with wildlife inside my buildings and everything to do with people control. This policy ruins the results of all my labor and toil. It negates anything I ever tried to accomplish, as the mice destroy property and make it uninhabitable. What good does a gun do when the government advocates for mouse protection? May disease and devastation rule!
Ruth Newsome (January 12, 2016 11:42 AM)
As others have pointed out rats and mice spread disease. Recently we have people dead from camping in Yosemite because of mice and people catching the plague out west from rodents. The population of London was decimated in the middle ages by the plague which was spread through rats. This is insane getting rid of the one product that works. I am assuming it is another Obama plan to reduce the population and this one is guaranteed to work. I just hope it backfires and gets some of the elite. I live in Florida and we get fruit rats this time of year. I have always used D-Con and raised 5 children a herd of collies and several cats without incident.
Fred (January 19, 2016 9:48 AM)
We should do unto others as we would have them do unto us-and HAVE done to us. Someone should find a way to capture a few dozen rats, (the rodent type-not the EPA personnel type) and deliver these captured lovely little pets to the local EPA office as a gift. Then open the box for them as you leave. Also be generous and remember to bring the best product the EPA says works and give that as a gift also.
THEN, we observe from an acceptable distance what the EPA uses to control their new guests. Maybe, just maybe, someone there might understand our predicament and re-think their actions.
Lynn nelson  (January 22, 2016 3:44 PM)
I don't have any children, pets or wildlife within my locked house. Why can't I have pellets that work and show if a critter has been eating?
Billie (January 29, 2016 10:34 PM)
All the stuff on the market now is just desert to the Rats. I want my d-con back.
stephanie nuckolls (February 1, 2016 12:57 PM)
I hate your new stuff the mice are not dying they eat it and come back have used 3 bags of it, doesn't work like the pellets did. I could use one tray and find the dead mice in 20 minutes of eating it. I am going to try some other product. I have used your product for over 15 years, not now.Sorry
Leona (February 1, 2016 7:06 PM)
We want DeCon back this is rediculous it's the only thing that works.
Kay (February 1, 2016 11:17 PM)
This is great news. Every poison should have an antidote . Especially if someone's child or pet should get into it. You can watch them all the time, but somehow they always manage to get into something . Accidents happen and thanks to Vitamin K being the antidote for my dog getting poisoned, she is still with us today. People just love to complain about crap until it happens to them.. Kidney explosion should NOT be a side effect of such popular poison that's sold in a card board box...Lets be real people
James Garnache (February 2, 2016 8:10 PM)
Give me a break! I have had a rat problem in one of my rental properties recently and have been searching high and low for the blue pellets that have always done the trick. Figured it must have been discontinued for some reason so finally googled. This IS bullshit. I bought all the other products to the tune of 100'S OF DOLLARS and the rats don't even sniff the crap. Thank you EPA for making our lives harder to control diseased, plague carrying f'ing rats!
A. Sorge (February 6, 2016 8:26 PM)
I'm sick and tired of people boo-hoo'ing about decon killing pets or poisoning children. WATCH your OWN kids, and keep your stupid annoying dogs on your own property. Decon was the ONLY thing on the market that actually worked. Everything else (Tomcat) is garbage, don't waste your money. There is some still on Ebay, where I have been buying in bulk!!!
All I can hope is that the next administration reigns in this EPA nonsense.
lspahn (February 7, 2016 2:10 PM)
Please put the pellets back on the market or at least put it in the "safe bait stations: the new stuff doesn't work!!! You cannot legislate for stupidity. The EPA is an unregulated loose cannon and needs reined in, we have too many rules and regulations now!!
Michael M. Clark (February 14, 2016 4:38 AM)
I live on a farm and have used the new stuff. I might as well just put down cheese for the mice. They eat the new stuff and multiply. So what is your solution to that? The new stuff DOES NOT WORK! HELP! Bring back the original D-CON.
estela rodriguez (April 12, 2016 10:43 AM)
What can we do people? This is stupidity at its maximum. When are they making all these changes and don't they realize the consequences? I had no idea that the real mouse poison was going to be discontinued. All these other products are just a waste of money.
jim r (February 22, 2016 2:16 PM)
I agree with all the comments. the epa has screwed things up again....
I have a problem with mice and voles in my yard and have had very good results in using juicy fruit chewing gum..look it up on the net. they eat it but cannot digest it...
michelle (February 25, 2016 2:46 AM)
The rats at my house are no longer afraid of me. I got up one night to go to the restroom, In the dark I made my way clicked on the light and as if galloping across the floor in front of me was a RAT a big one, bad as I had to go he got there first. I backed out the door and screamed for somebody....funny not really , but true they are not afraid of me... the d con blue pellets worked and I cant find it anywhere. Nothing else works , and I have spent at least a $100.00 trying to find the next best thing... that does not exist at least not yet. Please let me know if there is something, I can get that works. Please
Brian (March 14, 2016 2:35 PM)
I stocked up well before the ban! I have 50+ boxes of 4 trays each. Anything that actually WORKS gets banned! Mouse poison, bug killer, weed killer...the list goes on and on. They're even banning certain wattage incandescent LIGHTBULBS!!???? Which I might add, I stocked up on 100 watt! Lol. This is exactly what happens when you have a society full of tree hugging, crybaby, bleeding heart Liberals.
Dawn (May 26, 2016 10:38 AM)
I agree!!!
RWG (March 16, 2016 9:25 AM)
Without good rat and mice killing pellets we will all have fat and happy mice and rats, maybe we can capture the mice and rats and ship them to the Environmental Protection Agency and let them dispose of them or keep them as pets
doug duke (March 17, 2016 9:56 AM)
what alternatives?Are there house trained cats? medium to small "rat" dogs?
Belinda Seefeldt (April 9, 2016 9:41 AM)
We, too, are not happy with this being taken off the market. It is sad that every time we find something that works on , in this instance, mice, the EPA takes it away. The same thing happened with a mosquito spray we used to use. They are really getting under my skin!
Carolyn Balt (April 15, 2016 3:36 PM)
I, too, am seriously irritated by your taking this product off the market. Anything else I have used since the recall
has NOT worked at all. I have been told that I can get it on Amazon for almost 10 times what I was paying for the
box of 4 trays. (I should have stocked up on it.) Sorry, but www need to get the EPA out of our lives!!!!!
Joe Amato (May 3, 2016 2:14 AM)
Please put Dcon rat poison back. Rats destroyed my house. I support Dcon 100%
Mary Veldran (May 4, 2016 7:05 PM)
Well we have tried this new Dcon mouse killing product.IT DOES NOT WORK. We now have mice upon mice eating,urinating,pooping and destroying everything in our house.I do realize children and other animals were affected by the old formula, but this stuff does not work at all.
Linda (May 10, 2016 3:39 PM)
Bring it back the rats are Taking over!!!!!!
Mary  (May 24, 2016 2:03 AM)
Never had a rat problem until summer 2015. Suddenly they have infested our home and yard in counrty. I have bought Tom Cat and other products from Tru Valuefor a year. The rats eat them up..but are not decreased! Only one dead rat found from One Bite brand but Tru Value folks at feed store say all products now the same and they are selling enormous amounts and our whole area of the county has a big rat population explosion..They said they don't sell D-Con, have to buy it elsewhere
Now I know why!! Neighbors with rat problems say to buy 24 snap traps and put them out all at once for big strike kill, but rats will recover and return..Snap traps do work sometimes..but rats have eaten all bait without triggering..sticky bait like jam and peanut butter..They are smart..I have been told they are evolving., becoming resistant to poison, unafraid of people. was told to wash traps after a kill, rats can smell death, put copper mesh in holes, use black foam....what the heck?? This has the makings of a public health disaster. , bubonic plague? Nationwide?This is an election year, we need to complain to our senators and congress people and state and local officials.
write or call our representatives .
Dawn (May 26, 2016 10:33 AM)
I just want to say.....Decon was used for how many years?!It did its job wellI might add, I too put "Bait Stations" out and they went untouched.We live on a farm And BTW we love animals but we are overrun with desaese ridden mice. Iam now overwhelmed i can not keep up with mouse traps.I dont understand why there are so many mice we dont have trash or food source for them but they are destroying our property!!!!!!!{investment} Gee I wonder how the person/persons who instigated this would feel about their property being over run and ruined with MICE!?
Connie (May 29, 2016 6:37 PM)
I am so sorry this product has been recalled...it is the only thing that worked..hopefully the other product you are making is as good...but from what I have read...it does not...why can't you make the same product and instead of the cube put the granules...
Brogan R Rehak (May 31, 2016 2:30 AM)
The bait stations are garbage and in my opinion just another scam to get more money because they do not work. Apparently the mice are not as stupid as the makers of the products. And the traps are garbage too I think we still have some set that were used last time and the mice that are back aren't falling for it either. Not to mention most of them are faulty ando go off for no reason. The pellet trays are the only garrentee way of quickly eliminating mice from your home. I personally know from experience it's a proven fact. So now what? Let the mice infestation grow ramped, if the EPA had any kind of intelligence at all it would look back in history and see that rat and mice infestation is where the black plague stems from, they are apparently not too concerned about s9mething that will kill adults, children, dogs, cats, and spread athe a rapid uncontrollable rate... not to mention all the other diseases they carry on them as well. Hope they figure out a better solution then the crappie bait stations and faulty traps.
Tracy (June 13, 2016 9:28 AM)
Whatever poison I have used I have always had great luck as long as I pour pancake syrup over it. Whether it's the bars or pellets, etc. You can even lay them on a paper plate and pour the syrup over them and it does attract the mice and rats. One year I mixed up a batch that had peanut butter in it and finally killed a rat that had been in the walls of my home that I could catch in no other way. So I agree the new stuff isn't as good but just use some pancake syrup or peanut butter and you should get results.
Debra (June 18, 2016 8:30 AM)
For goodness sake!!!! EPA get your head back in the sunshine! I can't believe you people! My great grandparents used d-con on our family farm and it was amazing on controlling the rats and field mice! I live in a rural area now myself and have a problem with rats. Went to buy d-con and heard it was pulled off the shelves!!! Tried everything on the market pluse old timers home rememedies and well....lookie here....I still have rats! Want me to catch them for you and bring them to your office? Please put dcon back on the shelves!
Chuck (June 19, 2016 5:56 PM)
I spent all day looking for the DeCon products I have been using for years and found out it is no longer available.The product worked great and by properly placing the bait trays out of reach of children,dogs,and cats,I have never had a problem.The key is using the products responsibly.
Valerie (June 30, 2016 10:13 PM)
The new d-con stuff doesn't even work. The mice chewed through a package of the bait cubes, ate every single cube. They are still running around staring at me all freaking night. I doubt they are ghost mice, being as I've never found a body :/

The D-con pellets are the ONLY thing that worked. I've been to 20 different stores at least looking for them, and the stores couldn't even tell me why they didn't have them, just that they stopped receiving them.
Domino (July 9, 2016 1:09 PM)
wish I had known this was happening I would have stocked up, the bait things are useless compared to the dcon wedges I have used successfully for years; never lost a pet or kid to date.
Rolynell (July 12, 2016 11:24 AM)
There is a petition on Change.org to bring these products back.
Dale F. Sunday (July 16, 2016 4:15 PM)
I seldom used poison. But d-con mouse prude was effective and quickly. So I didn't need much of it. Now nothing works well and I have several containers of less effective products out. This increases the risk to non target species. Not to mention the rodent population is getting out of control. I want the old product back on the shelf.
William (July 23, 2016 7:35 PM)
I had over 20 mice in my house last winter. The only thing that worked for me was installing a screech owl box on my property. I have a family of owls in my yard and have no mice in my house. They eat 8+ mice per night. No mice in my house, no need for dcon. They even ate the ones I caught with snap traps until they were gone for good.
scare of rat (July 25, 2016 3:07 PM)
The product you have does not work now the box is too small and the rats are smarter now.You need to use the product in the ready mix bits in different forms and percentages to help you ad to go around the none sense you have to deal with the regulation and give the consumer a good product actually work.