Maker Of Rat Poison d-CON To Pull Products | June 9, 2014 Issue - Vol. 92 Issue 23 | Chemical & Engineering News

Facebook
Volume 92 Issue 23 | p. 10 | News of The Week
Issue Date: June 9, 2014 | Web Date: June 5, 2014

Maker Of Rat Poison d-CON To Pull Products

Pesticides: Reckitt Benckiser to phase out 12 d-CON rodenticides in response to EPA safety concerns
Department: Government & Policy
News Channels: Environmental SCENE
Keywords: pesticides, EPA, Reckitt Benckiser, rat poison, rodent control, rodenticides
This d-CON product is one of 12 that Reckitt Benckiser has agreed to stop manufacturing.
Credit: Reckitt Benckiser
09223-notw6-dconcxd

Credit: Reckitt Benckiser

After a long battle with federal officials, Reckitt Benckiser, maker of d-CON rat and mouse poisons, has voluntarily agreed to stop manufacturing 12 of its products by the end of this year. Distribution of the products to retailers will cease by March 31, 2015.

The company’s action comes after the Environmental Protection Agency moved to ban the 12 d-CON products last year, saying they do not meet the agency’s safety standards and “pose unreasonable risks to children, pets, and wildlife.” Reckitt Benckiser contested EPA’s decision, which put the ban on hold.

EPA welcomes the new agreement with Reckitt Benckiser because the deal will get the products off the market sooner than if the agency had to continue legal proceedings. “This voluntary move will get us far faster results than would otherwise be achieved through an administrative process,” says Jim Jones, assistant administrator for EPA’s Office of Chemical Safety & Pollution Prevention.

12 Rodent Poison Products Affected By Phaseout

◾ d-CON Concentrate Kills Rats & Mice
◾ d-CON Ready Mixed Kills Rats & Mice
◾ d-CON Mouse Prufe Kills Mice
◾ d-CON Pellets Kills Rats & Mice
◾ d-CON Mouse-Prufe II
◾ d-CON Pellets Generation II
◾ d-CON Bait Pellets II
◾ d-CON Ready Mixed Generation II
◾ d-CON Mouse-Prufe III
◾ d-CON Bait Pellets III
◾ d-CON II Ready Mix Baitbits III
◾ d-CON Bait Packs III

The 12 d-CON products are sold to consumers as pellets or powder, not in tamper-resistant bait stations. EPA has required that rodent control products sold to consumers be enclosed in such protective stations since 2011.

In addition, eight of the 12 d-CON products contain what are called second-generation anticoagulants—brodifacoum or difethialone. These rodent poisons are more toxic and persistent in the environment than first-generation compounds such as warfarin. Second-generation substances have been banned in consumer products since 2011 because of their toxicity to wildlife.

Under the agreement, the replacement d-CON products will not contain second-generation anticoagulants and will be sold in protective stations. Reckitt Benckiser previously cited concerns about alternative products that contain a neurotoxin which, unlike d-CON ingredients, has no known antidote. “The new d-CON bait products for sale will continue to utilize effective ingredients for which an antidote is readily available and which do not contain a neurotoxin,” the company says.

The agreement comes just one month before California is expected to implement a ban on the sale of second-generation anticoagulant rat poisons. Reckitt Benckiser unsuccessfully tried to delay that ban, which takes effect on July 1.

Comments
Gayle  (August 19, 2014 1:54 PM)
I've tried to new stuff without the D Con AND IT DOESN"T WORK> The rats are not attracted to it. Pleae keep on with the D Con.
Brittany  (October 25, 2014 7:27 PM)
Seriously, I have a rat in my kitchen now terrorizing me crunching loudly on food, and I've been searching high and low for this product. Nothing else works. Who paid someone to take this off the shelves?? Probably competitors. This O.G. product works!!! Help nothing else is working!
Vladmir Jackofski  (December 14, 2014 9:04 PM)
Profits over cures once again! OMG we're all of a suddenly so concerned about wild life accidentally eating this bait. BS!
Carol C  (January 29, 2015 12:19 PM)
Please pull d-con off shelves ASAP. Bad people use it to poison peoples pets!
randall peevey  (March 29, 2015 7:22 AM)
They are going to quit letting them sale anything that works just like they have done with the roach and flea products
Laura M  (April 9, 2015 2:17 PM)
It's not a case of prohibiting sale of effective products, but of the development of resistance within pest populations to pesticides. Some people prefer to grab an aerosol can and squirt a toxic product than to pick up a foot and step on the spider walking across the floor.

As for the people who think rodenticides are the only effective means of killing rodents, please try traps. They work much better, and the dying animal can't crawl off into a wall void to rot (a serious problem unless you are fond of a certain odor and the flies that develop in animal carcasses).

Pets and wildlife are usually poisoned by eating the "slow moving mice" that have consumed toxic bait. The poisoned (but still moving) rodents are much easier for your Labrador to catch.
stan wells  (May 18, 2015 11:32 AM)
well, please keep your pets out of other peoples yards
Suzette  (July 7, 2015 3:12 PM)
It isn't always peoples pets getting into others yards. Just yesterday my dog was in HIS yard and consumed a portion of an open box of d-con that the neighbor placed in MY YARD to kill a groundhog. Luckily I was able to rush him the vets where he is now getting treatment and will survive. So please don't assume that it is always the victims fault. It is not!!!!! I don't believe in using poison and would have never consented to the use of it in my yard.
Dnay  (July 24, 2015 11:26 PM)
I am very disappointed with the decision to pull the products. I have used the rat poison in the triangle box and had amazing results. I am very responsible with it. Now it is no longer around and the new stuff does NOT work. The rat is living it up in my garden. I am very sad to see the product go :(
Bob  (August 20, 2014 2:06 PM)
Try cleaning around where you live. Don't leave seeds and bird feed out. Buy a cat. Any thing that does kill other animals after they fed on the poisoned rats
grant  (October 18, 2014 6:56 AM)
cats rarely do the job and kill anything but rats. Even keeping the place clean won't prevent rats living in your warm dry space. Rat trap with a hair trigger is best, most humane(?), instantaneous death. Most homes will have a rat at one point. Rats do a good job of staying out of the way and undetected for the most part. The only way I know if we have a rat is holes bored in the bread!
Brittany  (October 25, 2014 7:32 PM)
Right, I've had a cat that sometimes killed mice and other times just looked at the mice running around, like I don't feel like chasing right now. Dogs are effective if they can catch the rodent. At least my chow and chow mix are. They have killed several mice outside. The problem is once they get in the house its hard to catch them. Decon works!!! I'm so sad I can't find it in stores.
Ron Perkins  (October 27, 2014 1:24 PM)
Yeah but there chewing the wires under hood of my truck??
Gotta have transport. Got any ideas to keep them out??
Chris  (January 18, 2015 10:09 PM)
Moth balls should keep mice from coming around. I fixed my neighbors transmission wires twice - we figured it was mice eating the wires. One day he popped the hood and saw a big fat rabbit in there... he moved the car around the corner and it stopped.
C.Merrell  (September 16, 2014 1:56 AM)
Dcon is the best.Let the consumer decide.....not the idiot that sits behind a desk tweedling thumbs and coming up with dumb ideas to take away a great product!!!
James, the pet owner  (October 13, 2014 6:33 PM)
I'm all for any action that saves pets. I'm so blasted tired of idiots putting out rat poison and killing my animals! What's wrong with Americans? ? ? PS. Maybe you haven't heard, but cats kill mice and rats. . .
linda  (December 6, 2014 1:43 AM)
What you SHOULD do is protect your animals. The rat and mouse problem can be a huge problem. Sooo, I guess people should run behind them and catch them if we can right? If you have a better solution, please let me know.
Cheryl  (February 11, 2015 11:23 PM)
Outside their own yard, pets should be leashed at all times (cats too). They should be supervised, at least with a watchful eye from a window with a clear view, in a yard even with a 6-foot fence. As a vet tech, I've witnessed the tragic results of poisoning, and even more hit by cars and wounded in attacks by both cats and dogs. Irresponsible pet ownership makes everyone suffer. People who love their pets invest time and energy in their happiness. My first cat lived to go outdoors; he and I walked hundreds of miles together in his 18 years, and his young replacement is following in his footsteps.
Spencer  (October 23, 2014 1:52 AM)
I am so tired of control freaks trying to make domestic decisions for people they don't even know. Let the consumers handle the situations the way they see fit, and stop trying to punish the people who do right just because there are idiots who don't. If people mess up and don't protect their cats from their rat poison, that is just an unfortunate side effect of freedom. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

D-con is a phenomenal weapon against rat invasions. Think about that the next time you see a rat running through your living room. It is really unfortunate that it has to go away now because the concept of individual responsibility is falling off the map.
tsali ticonderoga  (October 23, 2014 5:36 PM)
Glad dcon is banned. I had a cat accidentally get it to some somewhere and die. I dont use the junk.
Cassandra  (December 2, 2014 10:00 PM)
Anything that uses poison should be banned. Children put everything in their mouth, and it only takes one time. One child or pet that is poisoned is one too many.
Thomas  (December 9, 2014 5:03 AM)
I make and package d-con and at the end of this month 100 factory workers including me will either loose their jobs or be moved to a new product
Hookjaw Brown  (December 16, 2014 12:37 PM)
In the middle ages, rats were known to chew on babies in their cribs. Cats were not a match for rats and thus were bred rat terriers and such dog breeds. By banning anticoagulant rat poisons, there will be an explosion of rats. Just as a side note, my son takes warfarin (coumadin) daily to maintain his synthetic heart valve.
Henry  (December 23, 2014 3:19 PM)
I'd suggest looking up 'natural remedies for rats and mice'. I'd much prefer to use something natural than a poison.
A.Chandrasekaran  (December 29, 2014 11:25 AM)
I don't understand the problem here.

1. Some seem to think that we have only one choice for rats/mice (that is D-con). Same way some people claim(ed) we have no choice but to use Thimerosal in baby vaccines.
2. Fully removing D-con does not seem to be warranted either! They were in safe stations and could have been modified to keep the mouse/rat inside or some other judicious/safe methods. Again same narrow thinking that there is only one solution (to ban fully?).

Are we underestimating ourselves or are we really that bad?
Maria  (December 30, 2014 5:23 PM)
Our shop is surrounded by field and we get flooded with mice in the office/shop/building all year long. D-Con is the only product that works. We have Clark Pest Control stop by regularly and they can’t stop the mice. I have to go out a buy D-Con and put it all over the office and shop. The product needs to be placed in hard to reach areas like behind washer/dryer, under cabinets along the wall, in any area that is isolated from children and pets. As an adult you need to protect your children and pets and if you put the poison in any area your children or pets can get to it then you are at fault not the manufacture. Mice live in walls under floors in the attic NOT your living room, kitchen, bathroom, bedroom or garage they only come out to eat and they will eat anything anywhere. Its people suing company’s for a quick buck that make it easy for government to take away a good product.
Maria  (December 30, 2014 5:24 PM)
Jerrie Reese  (January 6, 2015 11:49 AM)
The "new" D-con doesn't work. We ran out of the old and bought the new and now we are hearing signs of mice and/or rats again. Consumers desperately need the old green D-Con pellets. As others have said it's not the product that is dangerous its how people use it that is the problem. Some of us have brains and don't leave it where children and pets can get at it.
Mike  (January 16, 2015 12:09 AM)
Thankfully, I don't live in California so I've been able to stockpile the good stuff...I'll never run out! Lol. Just like Diazinon and Chlordane, you just have to stockpile as soon as you hear of a coming ban! :)
Carol C.  (January 29, 2015 1:02 PM)
Get rid of the stuff. It is a danger to all pets and wildlife. Some people use it for foul play.
BillHoo  (February 18, 2015 3:52 PM)
You can still find the product via online hardware store sites. Looks like they are still selling online until they get rid of their supply by the March 31 2015 deadline.

I was able to get a good supply of the DCON Mouse and Rat baits from a hardware store whose initials contain the letter "HD" via their website.
Delle  (June 7, 2015 10:44 PM)
Wow, I think as with cigarettes, alcahol, and even drugs that people should have the right to choose. If you own a pet you should be able to care properly for it and not have poisons in your home to give it the opportunity to get into it. To those that say people have poisoned the pets they have they should be responsible for keeping the pets in the homes/yards that they belong...just saying. Reasonably speaking children have died by getting into detergent pods for the washer and/or dishwasher. Is it the manufacturers fault of the parents that gave them no supervision? Society has become so lazy that we expect everyone else to take care of everything for us with no muss nor fuss. Life has never been than easy, nor should it be. Grow up, get some perspective, I'd like my D-con back but I don't see that happening. So maybe I should find another alternative. I put my last one out, the palmetto bugs just love that stuff, it doesn't kill them either...yuck.