Maker Of Rat Poison d-CON To Pull Products | June 9, 2014 Issue - Vol. 92 Issue 23 | Chemical & Engineering News
Volume 92 Issue 23 | p. 10 | News of The Week
Issue Date: June 9, 2014 | Web Date: June 5, 2014

Maker Of Rat Poison d-CON To Pull Products

Pesticides: Reckitt Benckiser to phase out 12 d-CON rodenticides in response to EPA safety concerns
Department: Government & Policy
News Channels: Environmental SCENE
Keywords: pesticides, EPA, Reckitt Benckiser, rat poison, rodent control, rodenticides
This d-CON product is one of 12 that Reckitt Benckiser has agreed to stop manufacturing.
Credit: Reckitt Benckiser
Credit: Reckitt Benckiser

After a long battle with federal officials, Reckitt Benckiser, maker of d-CON rat and mouse poisons, has voluntarily agreed to stop manufacturing 12 of its products by the end of this year. Distribution of the products to retailers will cease by March 31, 2015.

The company’s action comes after the Environmental Protection Agency moved to ban the 12 d-CON products last year, saying they do not meet the agency’s safety standards and “pose unreasonable risks to children, pets, and wildlife.” Reckitt Benckiser contested EPA’s decision, which put the ban on hold.

EPA welcomes the new agreement with Reckitt Benckiser because the deal will get the products off the market sooner than if the agency had to continue legal proceedings. “This voluntary move will get us far faster results than would otherwise be achieved through an administrative process,” says Jim Jones, assistant administrator for EPA’s Office of Chemical Safety & Pollution Prevention.

12 Rodent Poison Products Affected By Phaseout

◾ d-CON Concentrate Kills Rats & Mice
◾ d-CON Ready Mixed Kills Rats & Mice
◾ d-CON Mouse Prufe Kills Mice
◾ d-CON Pellets Kills Rats & Mice
◾ d-CON Mouse-Prufe II
◾ d-CON Pellets Generation II
◾ d-CON Bait Pellets II
◾ d-CON Ready Mixed Generation II
◾ d-CON Mouse-Prufe III
◾ d-CON Bait Pellets III
◾ d-CON II Ready Mix Baitbits III
◾ d-CON Bait Packs III

The 12 d-CON products are sold to consumers as pellets or powder, not in tamper-resistant bait stations. EPA has required that rodent control products sold to consumers be enclosed in such protective stations since 2011.

In addition, eight of the 12 d-CON products contain what are called second-generation anticoagulants—brodifacoum or difethialone. These rodent poisons are more toxic and persistent in the environment than first-generation compounds such as warfarin. Second-generation substances have been banned in consumer products since 2011 because of their toxicity to wildlife.

Under the agreement, the replacement d-CON products will not contain second-generation anticoagulants and will be sold in protective stations. Reckitt Benckiser previously cited concerns about alternative products that contain a neurotoxin which, unlike d-CON ingredients, has no known antidote. “The new d-CON bait products for sale will continue to utilize effective ingredients for which an antidote is readily available and which do not contain a neurotoxin,” the company says.

The agreement comes just one month before California is expected to implement a ban on the sale of second-generation anticoagulant rat poisons. Reckitt Benckiser unsuccessfully tried to delay that ban, which takes effect on July 1.

Gayle  (August 19, 2014 1:54 PM)
I've tried to new stuff without the D Con AND IT DOESN"T WORK> The rats are not attracted to it. Pleae keep on with the D Con.
Brittany  (October 25, 2014 7:27 PM)
Seriously, I have a rat in my kitchen now terrorizing me crunching loudly on food, and I've been searching high and low for this product. Nothing else works. Who paid someone to take this off the shelves?? Probably competitors. This O.G. product works!!! Help nothing else is working!
Vladmir Jackofski  (December 14, 2014 9:04 PM)
Profits over cures once again! OMG we're all of a suddenly so concerned about wild life accidentally eating this bait. BS!
Paulette  (October 12, 2015 5:07 PM)
I personally believe it goes deeper than competitors and profits....the wildlife is only a concern to them now because of the implementation of AGENDA 21...does the word "sustainability" ring a bell? a favorite word of the makers of AGENDA 21. this is becoming the worlds new way of life brought to you by the folks of the UN implemented at the state, city & county levels. Look into this and you will learn how wildlife is going to become more valued than you or I. This is not a joke. They have big plans that are already in full force, by the year 2030 life will be quite different here on mother earth.
Lisa Dietter  (November 6, 2015 11:19 AM)
You have to thank the EPA for forcing this off the market. We will all now be hosting rats and mice on our property. The diseases, fleas etc. that rats and mice carry will start to ramp and they will share what they have. They rats and mice will now be able to enter our homes (kitchens, basements, bedrooms and wherever they want to go.

Thank you EPA, you just made our live more unhealthy!
Carol C  (January 29, 2015 12:19 PM)
Please pull d-con off shelves ASAP. Bad people use it to poison peoples pets!
randall peevey  (March 29, 2015 7:22 AM)
They are going to quit letting them sale anything that works just like they have done with the roach and flea products
Laura M  (April 9, 2015 2:17 PM)
It's not a case of prohibiting sale of effective products, but of the development of resistance within pest populations to pesticides. Some people prefer to grab an aerosol can and squirt a toxic product than to pick up a foot and step on the spider walking across the floor.

As for the people who think rodenticides are the only effective means of killing rodents, please try traps. They work much better, and the dying animal can't crawl off into a wall void to rot (a serious problem unless you are fond of a certain odor and the flies that develop in animal carcasses).

Pets and wildlife are usually poisoned by eating the "slow moving mice" that have consumed toxic bait. The poisoned (but still moving) rodents are much easier for your Labrador to catch.
Kat  (October 23, 2015 11:38 AM)
Laura M

And what about those people here in the north who close up their cabins and go south for the winter. They are supposed to come up once a week and empty and re-set traps? I agree that traps are best when you are on the premises regularly, however not all people have the ability to do that so it's not just as simple as "Please try traps".
stan wells  (May 18, 2015 11:32 AM)
well, please keep your pets out of other peoples yards
Suzette  (July 7, 2015 3:12 PM)
It isn't always peoples pets getting into others yards. Just yesterday my dog was in HIS yard and consumed a portion of an open box of d-con that the neighbor placed in MY YARD to kill a groundhog. Luckily I was able to rush him the vets where he is now getting treatment and will survive. So please don't assume that it is always the victims fault. It is not!!!!! I don't believe in using poison and would have never consented to the use of it in my yard.
Meleven  (October 8, 2015 5:03 PM)
Wow Suzette, I'm surprised at how well you took your neighbor putting poison in your yard & that your dog was poisoned by it? Your story really isn't credible - MOST ppl would be outraged by what you claim!
Kat  (October 23, 2015 11:42 AM)

Just because a person doesn't air all their grievances in a way that you see fit, does not mean they are making up a story to gain support.
Greg  (August 11, 2015 8:34 PM)
Pull a good product because of miss use the American way !!!
Carey Gerig  (November 1, 2015 8:42 PM)
Bad people can use other options to kill pets but just wait till a rat comes after your pet because it can't be poisoned and killed. I put some Tomcat mouse poison out, because that is all I can find, and it has been out for over a week. The mice haven't touched it. I found some Dcon mouse poison put it out and it was gone in a couple of days. what good is rodent poison when the rodents won't eat it? I bet the Tomcat company is really taking advantage of this whole thing.
Dnay  (July 24, 2015 11:26 PM)
I am very disappointed with the decision to pull the products. I have used the rat poison in the triangle box and had amazing results. I am very responsible with it. Now it is no longer around and the new stuff does NOT work. The rat is living it up in my garden. I am very sad to see the product go :(
Bob  (August 20, 2014 2:06 PM)
Try cleaning around where you live. Don't leave seeds and bird feed out. Buy a cat. Any thing that does kill other animals after they fed on the poisoned rats
grant  (October 18, 2014 6:56 AM)
cats rarely do the job and kill anything but rats. Even keeping the place clean won't prevent rats living in your warm dry space. Rat trap with a hair trigger is best, most humane(?), instantaneous death. Most homes will have a rat at one point. Rats do a good job of staying out of the way and undetected for the most part. The only way I know if we have a rat is holes bored in the bread!
Brittany  (October 25, 2014 7:32 PM)
Right, I've had a cat that sometimes killed mice and other times just looked at the mice running around, like I don't feel like chasing right now. Dogs are effective if they can catch the rodent. At least my chow and chow mix are. They have killed several mice outside. The problem is once they get in the house its hard to catch them. Decon works!!! I'm so sad I can't find it in stores.
Ron Perkins  (October 27, 2014 1:24 PM)
Yeah but there chewing the wires under hood of my truck??
Gotta have transport. Got any ideas to keep them out??
Chris  (January 18, 2015 10:09 PM)
Moth balls should keep mice from coming around. I fixed my neighbors transmission wires twice - we figured it was mice eating the wires. One day he popped the hood and saw a big fat rabbit in there... he moved the car around the corner and it stopped.
C.Merrell  (September 16, 2014 1:56 AM)
Dcon is the best.Let the consumer decide.....not the idiot that sits behind a desk tweedling thumbs and coming up with dumb ideas to take away a great product!!!
James, the pet owner  (October 13, 2014 6:33 PM)
I'm all for any action that saves pets. I'm so blasted tired of idiots putting out rat poison and killing my animals! What's wrong with Americans? ? ? PS. Maybe you haven't heard, but cats kill mice and rats. . .
linda  (December 6, 2014 1:43 AM)
What you SHOULD do is protect your animals. The rat and mouse problem can be a huge problem. Sooo, I guess people should run behind them and catch them if we can right? If you have a better solution, please let me know.
Cheryl  (February 11, 2015 11:23 PM)
Outside their own yard, pets should be leashed at all times (cats too). They should be supervised, at least with a watchful eye from a window with a clear view, in a yard even with a 6-foot fence. As a vet tech, I've witnessed the tragic results of poisoning, and even more hit by cars and wounded in attacks by both cats and dogs. Irresponsible pet ownership makes everyone suffer. People who love their pets invest time and energy in their happiness. My first cat lived to go outdoors; he and I walked hundreds of miles together in his 18 years, and his young replacement is following in his footsteps.
Spencer  (October 23, 2014 1:52 AM)
I am so tired of control freaks trying to make domestic decisions for people they don't even know. Let the consumers handle the situations the way they see fit, and stop trying to punish the people who do right just because there are idiots who don't. If people mess up and don't protect their cats from their rat poison, that is just an unfortunate side effect of freedom. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

D-con is a phenomenal weapon against rat invasions. Think about that the next time you see a rat running through your living room. It is really unfortunate that it has to go away now because the concept of individual responsibility is falling off the map.
tsali ticonderoga  (October 23, 2014 5:36 PM)
Glad dcon is banned. I had a cat accidentally get it to some somewhere and die. I dont use the junk.
Cassandra  (December 2, 2014 10:00 PM)
Anything that uses poison should be banned. Children put everything in their mouth, and it only takes one time. One child or pet that is poisoned is one too many.
Thomas  (December 9, 2014 5:03 AM)
I make and package d-con and at the end of this month 100 factory workers including me will either loose their jobs or be moved to a new product
Hookjaw Brown  (December 16, 2014 12:37 PM)
In the middle ages, rats were known to chew on babies in their cribs. Cats were not a match for rats and thus were bred rat terriers and such dog breeds. By banning anticoagulant rat poisons, there will be an explosion of rats. Just as a side note, my son takes warfarin (coumadin) daily to maintain his synthetic heart valve.
Henry  (December 23, 2014 3:19 PM)
I'd suggest looking up 'natural remedies for rats and mice'. I'd much prefer to use something natural than a poison.
A.Chandrasekaran  (December 29, 2014 11:25 AM)
I don't understand the problem here.

1. Some seem to think that we have only one choice for rats/mice (that is D-con). Same way some people claim(ed) we have no choice but to use Thimerosal in baby vaccines.
2. Fully removing D-con does not seem to be warranted either! They were in safe stations and could have been modified to keep the mouse/rat inside or some other judicious/safe methods. Again same narrow thinking that there is only one solution (to ban fully?).

Are we underestimating ourselves or are we really that bad?
Maria  (December 30, 2014 5:23 PM)
Our shop is surrounded by field and we get flooded with mice in the office/shop/building all year long. D-Con is the only product that works. We have Clark Pest Control stop by regularly and they can’t stop the mice. I have to go out a buy D-Con and put it all over the office and shop. The product needs to be placed in hard to reach areas like behind washer/dryer, under cabinets along the wall, in any area that is isolated from children and pets. As an adult you need to protect your children and pets and if you put the poison in any area your children or pets can get to it then you are at fault not the manufacture. Mice live in walls under floors in the attic NOT your living room, kitchen, bathroom, bedroom or garage they only come out to eat and they will eat anything anywhere. Its people suing company’s for a quick buck that make it easy for government to take away a good product.
Maria  (December 30, 2014 5:24 PM)
Jerrie Reese  (January 6, 2015 11:49 AM)
The "new" D-con doesn't work. We ran out of the old and bought the new and now we are hearing signs of mice and/or rats again. Consumers desperately need the old green D-Con pellets. As others have said it's not the product that is dangerous its how people use it that is the problem. Some of us have brains and don't leave it where children and pets can get at it.
Mike  (January 16, 2015 12:09 AM)
Thankfully, I don't live in California so I've been able to stockpile the good stuff...I'll never run out! Lol. Just like Diazinon and Chlordane, you just have to stockpile as soon as you hear of a coming ban! :)
Carol C.  (January 29, 2015 1:02 PM)
Get rid of the stuff. It is a danger to all pets and wildlife. Some people use it for foul play.
BillHoo  (February 18, 2015 3:52 PM)
You can still find the product via online hardware store sites. Looks like they are still selling online until they get rid of their supply by the March 31 2015 deadline.

I was able to get a good supply of the DCON Mouse and Rat baits from a hardware store whose initials contain the letter "HD" via their website.
Delle  (June 7, 2015 10:44 PM)
Wow, I think as with cigarettes, alcahol, and even drugs that people should have the right to choose. If you own a pet you should be able to care properly for it and not have poisons in your home to give it the opportunity to get into it. To those that say people have poisoned the pets they have they should be responsible for keeping the pets in the homes/yards that they belong...just saying. Reasonably speaking children have died by getting into detergent pods for the washer and/or dishwasher. Is it the manufacturers fault of the parents that gave them no supervision? Society has become so lazy that we expect everyone else to take care of everything for us with no muss nor fuss. Life has never been than easy, nor should it be. Grow up, get some perspective, I'd like my D-con back but I don't see that happening. So maybe I should find another alternative. I put my last one out, the palmetto bugs just love that stuff, it doesn't kill them either...yuck.
Norm  (October 3, 2015 1:39 PM)
I've used the pellets in wedge boxes successfully for years. Now it's gone. Bought 3 of the protected bait traps and they are, after 3 weeks, untouched by rodents. They don't work, period. There are numerous beetles finding the stuff but I don't see any dead bugs either. So, D-con goes the way of many industries in the USA (Think chrome plating and automotive battery manufacturing). The victims of another out of control bureaucratic agency. Oh, that's the same agency that recently released 3 million gallons of highly toxic mine waste into a Colorado river then claimed the water was safe to drink just days later. Where does it stop?
Dee  (October 3, 2015 6:06 PM)
Living in center of acres of corn fields which attract millions of mice. In fall, somehow, they get in the house. DeCon seems to be the only thing that works quickly. Mice are worse than rabbits, one pregnant mouse can take over without quick kill. A lot of common household items are poison, going to eliminate them all? Responsibility reigns. Taking this product off the market is irresponsibility. How gross to have vermin living in your home! The bait now sold doesn't work. Spring traps? Messy, nasty and germ ridden. Mandated by EPA? Figures, they should stick to what they do well, horrible, massive pollution of our rivers. Get rid of the EPA, nothing but tax money sucking environmental disasters.
A. Davis  (October 6, 2015 11:49 AM)
Really people? Its a poison. use as directed. Easy as that. Whats next ban all fertilizer? Should ban aspartame, fluoride, and genetic modified foods. I have seven dogs at my place. I just put out 8 boxes of d con last night, all gone this morning, and my pets are still safe. I take care of my animals, I dont assume they are human and let them do as they please. I have one chi-winnie who loves to kill rats, but they are quick and she only gets a few. when she does she only kills them, does not eat them. I had a tom cat for years who killed and ate them, never got sick. People who have a rat problem, mostly due to where they live need this product.
JZ  (October 21, 2015 8:15 PM)
Your point is so well taken. Maybe America should stop being controlled by tree huggers. I mean is a poison, treat with respect. Please stop making my purchase decisions for me. I have used this product for years and have raised 7 dogs and 5 cats, without incident. Stop punishing the masses for the few that are stupid. We get a great product that works as advertised, at a reasonable price and the American way is to take it off the market. So now we have the market bear the lack of product that is in high demand and jack the price out of sight. We are talking about a rodent that is responsible for spreading disease and we no longer have a highly effective product that is capable of eradicating that problem. Every fall we get mice coming in from the surrounding fields and the awesome products helps us control the problem, year after year, until now, are gone. I have at least been able to delay facing in infestation of mice because I have found 36 cases of the amazingly effective product at the standard price. Thank you DCON for the successful years of effective mice control. I really am sorry to see you go. I guess all good things must come to an end.
Susan  (October 15, 2015 2:30 PM)
We need d con mouse prufe II back!!!
barb siemiatkowski  (October 23, 2015 12:29 PM)
we need the decon rat pellet boxes back. that is all that works
Ronald Wintrick  (October 29, 2015 4:45 AM)
The new poisons do not work. The mice are reproducing faster than traps can catch them. Mice are smart, after a few got caught in the traps the mice now avoid them. Every fall I put out the decon pellets and it kills the few mice that come in. It is only October and I have already killed 26 mice and there are more in my house now than ever.
What nonsense.
Brett  (October 30, 2015 12:48 AM)
All of the comments about other methods not working are really true. My mother in-law left her house to stay with my wife's sister and help with the kids. She came to find her clean middle class home being taken over by rats. Local pest control had consulted with her prior to her leaving. Traps were set and all food including cat food was in plastic containers. The rats chewed through the plastic! Chewed through airline tape over her air duct, now they are in the HVAC system. All the ducting has to be removed and replaced. I found this site while looking for D Con in another state than California. I thought only California banned D Con and now I find out it's nationwide!! Unreal. Do we all really think that the Constitution gave the Federal Government the authority to do this? It spells out the Fed Gov's authority and then gives EVERYTHING ELSE to the States. What in the world is happening! Our neighborhood has never had rats before. Ever. We bought her when the homes were brand new so I know. And now our choice of product is kaput. EPA. Right up there with Lois Lehner and the IRS. And all of the comments on responsibility are spot on. 60 years of rat poison use, no pet or child death or injury. Living in America is getting more and more frustrating.
Brett  (October 30, 2015 1:19 AM)
I just checked eBay. You can get D-con and some very effective products from England and Australia.
Good luck! It's a rat infested jungle out there!!!
Laura Vaughn  (November 4, 2015 7:24 PM)
Yea,we've always used the Dcon RAT Poision and it's always have gotten rid of the RATS,we have tried the new stuff and we're still hearing RATS,my husband has gone to Lowes,Home Depot and even Wal-Mart.Nothing else is working even our dog is in and out of the bed waking us up cause she hears the RATS!!!This is a bunch of husband gets up at 5:00 a.m and we are steady getting woke up cause of this new stuff just ain't killing these big RATS.Weve always used Dcon RAT Poision and it's always worked so good and now we're being kept awake because this new stuff just ain't working at all,I don't care what the EPA says,if they can get something out here that will kill the RATS like Dcon did well I'm all for it but I won't know until we have something like Dcon out there and we be glad to sign a piece of paper saying we brought the Dcon RAT Poision.We need something for these freakin RATS cause I'm about to go crazy when I here them chewing away,please help people like us,Laura Vaughn
Fred Walters  (November 7, 2015 4:14 PM)
You know this stuff really worked good I got some last year and went this year looking for more and find they pulled it!!! Anything that works they get rid of I bought some other stuff that's like a small block the mice don't even look at it or eat it. I don't like mice bugs or anything else eating my food how would you like to go to make you a sandwich and find the bread you just ate had a mouse in the bag there is a lot more damage these mice do then that also.This stuff needs to be brought back. REALLY!!!!!!
Markie  (November 11, 2015 1:19 PM)
I have purchased the New and Improved version.... TAKE A CLUE!!! IT DOENS'T WORK-I've checked the bait station under my kitchen sink and it has not been touched! I still see the critters zooming around corners and hear them chewing behind my radiators.... Maybe I'll cook up my own poison. Have to get busy on the web and see what is out there.
Greg  (November 11, 2015 3:58 PM)
Just look online for the 5 gallon bucket mouse trap. Use antifreeze in cold climates
James  (November 13, 2015 7:56 PM)
Fleas on rats was the cause of the Bubonic Plague (Black Plague)in Europe that devastated Europe in 1348-1349 killing perhaps 1/3 of the population-75 million people. A few cases have been confirmed in America this year in 2015. If we are left with no way of effectively killing rats and mice numbers could increase.
The song "Ring around the Rosie" is from 1348-1349 . Ring around the rosie pocket, full of posey, all fall down. A rosie was the red lesion on the skin. Posey was flowers thought to be a possible preventive. All fall down is self explanatory.