ADVERTISEMENT
2 /3 FREE ARTICLES LEFT THIS MONTH Remaining
Chemistry matters. Join us to get the news you need.

If you have an ACS member number, please enter it here so we can link this account to your membership. (optional)

ACS values your privacy. By submitting your information, you are gaining access to C&EN and subscribing to our weekly newsletter. We use the information you provide to make your reading experience better, and we will never sell your data to third party members.

ENJOY UNLIMITED ACCES TO C&EN

Safety

Safety Board Is Barred From Accident Site

by Jeff Johnson
May 27, 2013 | APPEARED IN VOLUME 91, ISSUE 21

Members and staff of the Chemical Safety & Hazard Investigation Board were blocked from examining evidence at the West Fertilizer Co. fatal accident site by state and other federal investigators, CSB Chairman Rafael Moure-Eraso wrote in a letter to Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.) last week. Boxer had asked CSB for an update. For a month after the April 17 accident, CSB investigators were restricted by the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives and the Texas State Fire Marshal’s Office, which were conducting a criminal investigation. The non-CSB investigators altered and removed nearly all relevant evidence, CSB said, but were unable to learn how the accident occurred. CSB’s root cause investigation will take 12 to 18 months, the board said, but preliminary findings may be released sooner. Last week, CSB released a video showing damage from the accident.

X

Article:

This article has been sent to the following recipient:

Leave A Comment

*Required to comment