µSEC-MALS adds Multi-Angle Light Scattering to UHP-SEC for Measurement of Absolute Molecular Weight and Size
January 23, 2018
8:00 a.m. PST / 11:00 a.m. EST / 16:00 GMT / 17:00 CET - Duration: 60 Minutes
We describe recent advances in multi-angle light scattering (MALS) instrumentation that bring absolute molar mass and size measurements to microliter-scale ultra-high-performance size-exclusion chromatography (UHP-SEC). µSEC-MALS achieves the highest resolution and sensitivity of any online light scattering system. The novel design combines dynamic light scattering (DLS) with MALS in the same flow cell.
The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) monoclonal antibody standard reference material SRM 8671 is the benchmark molecule against which many biomolecular analysis techniques are assessed and evaluated. We present µSEC-MALS measurements of SRM 8671 as a demonstration of the unique capability of this system to carry out all the usual SEC-MALS-DLS characterization tasks, while preserving the superb resolution and rapid separations of UHP-SEC. These abilities will have far-reaching impacts at every stage of the development and production of biologics and bio-therapeutic formulations.
Brought to you by:
- Principles of multi-angle light scattering (MALS) and advantages of SEC-MALS over analytical SEC
- Wyatt's innovative approach to a UHP-SEC compatible MALS detection system
- The first UHP-SEC-MALS results of NIST SRM 8671 monoclonal antibody standard
- Examples of SEC-MALS applications that have been made possible by µSEC-MALS with higher speed and resolution
- Users of UHP-SEC who require absolute macromolecular characterization, independent of column calibration and its attendant errors
- Scientists who currently employ SEC-MALS and are considering a switch to UHP-SEC for increased productivity
- Researchers needing better quality control and quantitative characterization of proteins and biotherapeutics, with smaller sample quantities
Vincent H. Hsieh, Ph.D.,
Principal R&D Scientist,
Wyatt Technology Corporation