Sexual harassment programming at the March 2018 ACS national meeting in New Orleans
Join C&EN and the Women Chemists Committee for a symposium on sexual harassment and what communities are doing to stop it. Learn how to respond to sexual harassment at a bystander training workshop, where you will work through real-life harassment scenarios.
The Science of Sexual Harassment symposium
Monday, March 19
9 AM to 3:30 PM
Hilton New Orleans Riverside: Grand Salon C Sec. 13
Sexual harassment is as pervasive in chemistry as it is in other fields. However, more women have come forward recently to discuss their harassment experiences, including in a 2017 story in Chemical & Engineering News. This two-part session will examine sexual harassment and what communities are doing to stop it in chemistry and beyond.
• Sanda Sun, harassment survivor
• Vicki Magley, psychologist, University of Connecticut
• Anna Branch, sociologist, University of Massachusetts, Amherst
• Joanna Grossman, law professor, Southern Methodist University
• Mary Boyd, chemist and provost, Berry College
• Panel discussion
• Maria T. Dulay, harassment survivor
• Nancy Gray, CEO, Gordon Research Conferences
• Billy M. Williams, vice president of ethics, diversity, and inclusion, American Geophysical Union
• Nicholas Giordano, dean, Auburn University
• Natia Frank, chemist, University of Victoria
• Panel discussion
How to stop sexual harassment: Bystander training workshop
Tuesday, March 20
Hilton New Orleans Riverside: Grand Salon B Sec. 7
Is this harassment? What should I do? If you have ever been the target of or witnessed harassment or bullying, you may have asked yourself these questions and more. In this workshop by diversity consultant Sherry Marts, you’ll learn how to respond to harassment or bullying when you’re the target, without escalating the encounter, and how to intervene when you witness harassment or bullying.
*You can participate by purchasing a ticket to the "No Means No: How to Stop Harassment" workshop ($10) when you register for the meeting. If you've already registered, click on “view your receipt” in your confirmation email then select “add items.” Or you can email ACS@xpressreg.net.