Help Edit & Produce C&EN
Chemical & Engineering News, the weekly newsmagazine of the American Chemical Society, is searching for a highly motivated, detail-oriented, science- and grammar-loving production editor to join our staff for a one-year contract position, with the possibility to extend in some way at the end of the term.
C&EN reports current events in the chemical enterprise, including recent advances in research, education, industry, funding, and regulatory policy. C&EN production editors contribute to a print magazine that reaches more than 158,000 members of ACS each week and an online edition that receives 5 million page views per year.
Our production editors have earned at least a bachelor's degree in chemistry or a related field and are based at ACS headquarters in Washington, D.C.
Please send your résumé and any other supporting documents to Kimberly Bryson, Assistant Managing Editor, Editing & Production, at email@example.com.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
The C&EN Production Editor is responsible for contributing to the editorial content of C&EN through the careful editing of stories in the magazine and posted on C&EN’s website. He or she is responsible for the production—through publication—of a portion of the magazine each week, a process that involves meeting daily deadlines.
- 1. Edit articles according to generally accepted English grammar and the C&EN style manual.
- 2. Work with authors to resolve problems.
- 3. Coordinate articles through composition, collating all corrections and ensuring that final pages released to the printer are accurate and complete and online stories are ready to be posted according to each day’s schedule. Must be able to stay as late as needed to complete the week’s or day’s work.
- 4. Set and adjust priorities as needed to ensure pages are ready to be transmitted to the printer according to each week’s schedule.
- 5. Format electronic files and enter metadata to ensure stories display correctly in print and electronic channels.
- 6. Produce artwork, working with author, designers, and C&EN editorial staff to achieve final graphs, charts, schematics, etc. Ensure metadata associated with artwork are correct.
- 7. Write or edit headlines, blurbs, captions, and table of contents items for articles.
- 8. Contribute as appropriate to writing news and features and producing online content, including interactive graphics and videos.
ACS is a drug-free/smoke-free, equal opportunity employer.