Volume 92 Issue 6 | pp. 13-14
Issue Date: February 10, 2014

Cover Stories: Food Additives

Extending Shelf Life With Natural Preservatives

Department: Business
Keywords: natural preservatives, synthetic preservatives, food preservatives
NATURE’S KEEPER
Rosemary extracts can help prevent fats and oils from going rancid.
Credit: Shutterstock
This is a photo of rosemary, a source of natural antioxidants for food.

NATURE’S KEEPER
Rosemary extracts can help prevent fats and oils from going rancid.
Credit: Shutterstock

For busy shoppers who value convenience, packaged foods can be an easy weeknight fallback. Refrigerated products such as deli meats, with help from preservatives, are expected to last through a week or two of packing school lunches. But consumers looking to avoid synthetic preservatives confront an alphabet soup of additives: BHT, BHA, and TBHQ. Not exactly Grandma’s recipes.

But who could say no to rosemary extract? Naturex has been processing rosemary at its factory in Morocco since 1992. At the time, the extract was in demand as a flavor for meats that benefited from its savory astringency. To their surprise, some customers learned that it also stabilized the meat, says Baptiste Demur, business manager for Naturex’s natural preservatives line.

It turns out that two components of rosemary, rosmarinic acid and carnosic acid, are responsible for the long-life effect. Both inhibit the free-radical chain reaction that leads to oxidation of fats and oils. However, they aren’t responsible for the flavor of rosemary. Demand for Naturex extracts has grown as the firm created extracts that can be used in non-rosemary-flavored sweet and savory foods.

“Lately we’ve seen very strong growth for this product line, especially since clean labels have become mainstream,” Demur says. “Now, with the information that people have access to, they say, ‘What is BHT? Oh my God, it is a chemical.’ And now there is pressure to remove that chemical.”

Those common preservatives—known to chemists as butylated hydroxytoluene, butylated hydroxyanisole, and tert-butylhydroquinone—are antioxidants that prevent rancidity in fats and oils. Studies suggest they may cause cancer in rodents. Other preservatives that help fend off mold and other microbes include potassium sorbate and sodium benzoate. These antimicrobials are widely used and generally viewed as safe, but consumers can find their chemical names off-putting.

Demur says the extracts work well in many applications as replacements for BHT and BHA. Naturex recently partnered with the lactic acid firm Galactic to develop a product with the antioxidant properties of rosemary and the antimicrobial capabilities of organic acids made via fermentation.

Tell us: Do you choose foods made without artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives? Visit http://cenm.ag/additives.

Products of fermentation can be very label friendly. Last year, lactic acid specialist Purac launched a line of powdered antimicrobial ingredients that show up on food labels as “fermented cane sugar.” To a microbiologist, the term would seem vague. But it is not one purified additive but rather a savory mélange of fermentation products that happen to extend shelf life, says Ivo van der Linden, category manager for food preservation at Purac.

Scientists at DuPont Nutrition & Health tackle the microbe problem two ways. First they find out which yeast and mold organisms start to grow in a particular product. Then they use their expertise—and their high-throughput natural-compound screening system—to select a blend of ingredients that kill those microbes or prevent their growth, according to Jerry Erdmann, DuPont’s manager of food protection.

DuPont’s combination approach might bring together synergistic compounds such as active proteins and organic acids, Erdmann says. For example, one of DuPont’s antimicrobial products contains cultured dextrose, green tea extract, and mustard essential oil. Before a preservative is used in a food, it is tested to ensure it does not alter taste or color and can be easily incorporated.

“If we could ferment all of our foods, theoretically we would have no need for chemical preservatives,” van der Linden points out. “You can’t do that, but how can the process contribute to overall food stability, flavor, and shelf life? That part you have to get a feeling for.”

Comments
Malorie (Wed Sep 17 00:45:54 EDT 2014)
Hi There! I find all of this information highly intriguing and informative. My question is actually regarding the preservation of an all Natural cleaning agent. I have recently been introduced to soap nuts and am very fascinated with how well they work for being a 100% organic product. The only downfall is that, because it is derived from a Fruit (a nut shell) it has a very short shelf life. At room temperature it can stay for 7-10 days and when refrigerated 2 weeks or so, possibly more if you add salt and baking soda. I am looking to extend the shelf life at room temperature to 6 months to a year. These soap nut shells when boiled, produce/secrete a very unique chemical called Saponin. This extract can be used for everything from laundry detergent, to shampoo, to all purpose cleaner and even toothpaste (when combined with other agents). and for this reason I would like to be able to make my own all purpose product in larger batches but be able to have them last longer then the average life of the fruit. I would also like to keep with the 100% organic nature in using a preservative that is also organic and safe in the event it was ingested as I have 2 small children who, as we know, like to experiment with things even though advised not to, and hense why I am seeking a food derived preservative.. I did do some research and found that potassium sorbate and citric acid are commonly used however I am not sure what time frame is given once utilized. Also, adding essential oils is also said to extend the shelf life but again for how long is the real question? I am currently using an essential oil blend (immune boost) which contains Clove Bud, Cinnamon Bark, Lemon, Eucalyptus citriodora, Thyme, Orange, Oregano, Nutmeg, Rosemary, Mandarin, and Ginger Root. It has tonnes of antibacterial properties but I am not sure how well it will help to extend the shelf life. I also would like to experiment with different oils and so don't want to have to use this as one of the factors for extended the products life. So.. in conclusion, I would GREATLY appreciate any and all advice pertaining to this matter. Thank you sincerely for your time! And I look forward to hearing all feedback :)
Natasha (Tue Mar 08 13:18:03 EST 2016)
potassium sorbate will rot essential oils........FYI
Michelle Bateman (Thu Nov 06 02:22:32 EST 2014)
Hi
I've read this article with great interest. I wonder whether you might help me please?
I own a small dog bakery making and selling healthy natural homemade treats biscuits for dogs. I use chicken, beef, pork, fish, cheese, honey, peanut butter as the main ingredients and these are made without preservatives, colourings or any additives.
I would like to add a natural preservative to extend the shelf life which is around 14 days but slightly longer if kept refrigerated. This would allow me to reach a wider audience of dogs.
I am uncertain of the amount I would need to use bearing in mind that the dogs adore the biscuits and I am loathe to add anything that would hamper that. I particularly like the sound of the rosemary because of the natural aspect but I am open to any other ideas too.
I would appreciate any comments and look forward to hearing from you.
Thanks

Eusebiu (Wed Aug 19 10:46:41 EDT 2015)
Hi Michelle!

It seems like you are trying to tackle the a problem of lipid oxidation, rancidity etc. I might be able to help, as I work for a company that sells natural preservatives. I believe that a natural antioxidant based on bamboo leaf or green tea extract would work in your case.

Feel free to contact me for more details.

Mani (Wed Sep 30 04:17:46 EDT 2015)
Hi Eusebiu

Would you be able to share more information about the product offerings from your company please? You may reach me via my email address @ singaimani@hotmail.com
Haley (Fri Oct 16 13:16:31 EDT 2015)
Hey Eusebiu!

I am having a similar problem to Michelle (I make my own almond based dip made with almonds, grapeseed oil, garlic, nutritional yeast, vegetable stock salt and other spices as the main ingredients.) I am looking for a natural preservative so when I put it into stores it's shelf life can be a bit longer than it is now. I was looking into rosemary extract but I hear it tastes like rosemary and I can't have it changing my flavor. Do you have any suggestions for me? I would really appreciate the help. My email is haley.stern23@gmail.com.

Thanks!

Haley
Dorothy (Mon Jun 06 08:41:26 EDT 2016)
HI I am in the process of starting a production company making ready pasta (I have a restaurant and want to reproduce these items in bulk for boutique stores). I would like more information on shelf life using natural ingredients.
Clyde Handfield (Tue Oct 04 18:32:24 EDT 2016)
Hi I am in the process of starting a Juice business selling 100% fresh blended juice.I will be supplying my product to grocery stores, schools canteen and health food stores. what kind of natural preservatives I can used to extend shelf life for my juice without having to change color or taste.
I would really appreciate the help
My email address is clydekhandfield@hotmail. com

Nance (Sat Dec 10 02:02:06 EST 2016)
Hello Clyde,
Has Eusebiu gotten back to you on this? I suspended going into my all natural juice production because I couldn't lay my hands on a free chemical base preservative.
Todd (Mon Jan 16 15:42:44 EST 2017)
Clyde, Have you considered ginger as a preservative for your juice?
Hannah McCollum (Tue Oct 27 04:12:12 EDT 2015)
Hello Euseblu,

I make raw vegetable hummus from surplus vegetables and am rapidly looking to extend my shelf life! Would you mind emailing me the details that you would have given Michelle? (www.chicp.co.uk)

My company is based in London.

Many thanks
Hannah
Denise Girard (Sun Nov 29 16:42:44 EST 2015)
Hi Eusebiu!

I would really like the opportunity to have a professional conversation regarding preservatives. Please contact me asap as I am about to set up production and need your advice and products. Thank you in advance.
Denise Girard (Sun Nov 29 16:44:31 EST 2015)
Oh my email is deniseogirard@gmail.com. I look forward to hearing from you.
Tsang (Fri Dec 11 20:22:00 EST 2015)
Hi Eusebiu,

Really interested to hear about your natural preservatives. I faced the problem of lipid oxidation too. Please kindly email me at yltsang@yahoo.com.
Tricia cronin (Tue Dec 22 12:10:49 EST 2015)
Hi
I am also working on a dog treat business with different ingredients meat veggies and gluten free flours. I am interested in a natural preservative to extend shelf life to 1 year. I do dehydrate my treats.
Thanks
Tricia Cronin
Catahoula Kitchen
katie (Thu Jan 07 01:09:51 EST 2016)
Have you heard anything back yet?
Tricia (Tue Jan 12 15:20:12 EST 2016)
Victoria (Tue Dec 29 01:47:21 EST 2015)
Hi Eusebiu- Could you please email me too? I would like to learn more about your company's products. My email is: verthorn07@gmail.com

Thank you.
Adiam Tsegaye (Mon Apr 11 11:20:37 EDT 2016)
Hello Eusebiu,
Aam looking for natural preservative also and would like to discuss it with you please e mail me @ adiamts@yahoo.com. Hope to hear from you.
Adiam
mina (Wed May 25 03:40:56 EDT 2016)
Hi Euseblu,
I am from Iran
we have a company here in which we produce russian salad and other kinds of salads and sandwiches.
we use Sodium Benzoate but it is not good
we need a plant based preservative
please help me
Iam looking forward to your reply
Jun (Thu May 26 19:33:40 EDT 2016)
Can you provide contact information. I am interested in purchasing the preservative for commercial manufacturer. Thanks.
Charity  (Thu Nov 03 18:48:07 EDT 2016)
Euseblu,
I am in the same industry as Michelle. Can you please send me information on your products? Thanks!

Charity
Priya (Thu Nov 17 10:29:40 EST 2016)
Very informative. Which natural preservatives I can add into my moisturizer to increase shelf life
Daniel (Thu Dec 08 16:51:30 EST 2016)
Hi Eusebiu

Please send me more information about your products. Please contact me via email jdnw85@gmail.com

Thanks

Daniel
Mac Tan (Sat Jan 07 09:35:29 EST 2017)
Hi Eusebiu
It would be great to know more information about these natural preservatives that your company sells.
I am currently experimenting for our school project at foods that could be stored at room temp for more than 3 months.I would really appreciate it if ou could contact me by my email: macgyvertan@icloud.com

Thanks!!!
-Mac
Shana Williams (Wed Jan 11 13:12:08 EST 2017)
Eusebiu, can you please contact as I am looking for a natural preservative as well. Please co act me. Shanawilliams463@yahoo.com
Walid Adami (Thu Feb 02 22:27:39 EST 2017)
Very excellent information Eusebiu. I manufactured and supplied organic supplement and natural juices. My chia seed and natural juices cannot have longer shelf life and Im looking for natural addictives to prevent it from lipid oxidation, rancidity etc...Kindly email me more information at walidklones@gmail.com. Thank you
yasir aziz (Wed Feb 15 13:35:30 EST 2017)
Hi Eusebiu!
Could you please help me to give me your suggestion about my research on beverages (any fruit beverage)using natural preservatives to extend the shelf life of the beverage as well as enhancing the nutritive value of the beverage?
Auntie Markovnikov (Mon Sep 28 11:59:11 EDT 2015)
I had to do a double take when I "small dog bakery".
Jason (Sun Nov 09 06:57:01 EST 2014)
I too am here for a similar reason. I want to preserve my soap nut solution. I haven't tried anything yet.I usually do not dilute the solution. It has poor shelf life. Let me know if a solution is found.
Zora Guzman (Wed Jan 07 08:42:51 EST 2015)
Hello, I am looking for natural preservatives to extend shelf life of baked goods. Do you have any suggestions and where I can get them from.
Thank you.
Michelle Bateman (Thu Feb 19 05:09:58 EST 2015)
Zora
Your products sound very similar to my own. Have you managed to find anything yet to extend the shelf life of your products?
Disappointingly I havent but wonder whether we could work together on a solution?
Melody B (Thu Jan 08 08:10:25 EST 2015)
Thanks for all the great questions. I really have only two suggestions and they aren't great - one is to keep experimenting, but be careful to not make anyone sick. Rosemary extract may be a good ingredient to try for some applications. I understand that coconut oil is also said to have anti microbial properties - it is tasty but expensive. You may want to scrutinize so-called green or all natural products to see if their labels give any hints. Good luck to all of you.
suzanne (Fri Jan 30 22:59:10 EST 2015)
I am looking for a good natural preservative for a concentrated juice ( I have not yet chosen the juice) - I want something that tastes good - does not have to be too sweet (I can use something like Erythritol to improve sweetness ) I would like to get 2 years of shelf life with an - essential oil??
Gilda Stawicki (Wed Feb 18 14:02:50 EST 2015)
This was very interesting. I would like to produce a natural dogs soup to be mixed with their dry food.It will need some preservative in their single serving packaging.
Andrea Wilkins (Tue Apr 14 13:37:27 EDT 2015)
I am highly allergic to Rosemary and fininding it impossible to avoid as it's uses, as preservatives increases under the name of Tochopherols and most often blended with the synthetic BHA and BHT preservatives! Our meats and dairies are most often preserved with this before it even makes it to a kitchen. Rosemary also is used in fragrances of all types, lotions, colognes, shampoos, etc. My daily life is becoming more miserable with each exposure! I have to use inhalers, epi pens, benedryl, etc. I have had many trips to the emergency room, some by car, some by ambulance! I can't be the only one allergic to Rosemary and I believe It should be labeled as an allergen! Rosemary is in the mint family and similar herbs should be considered a problem as well! Research also points to Rosemary being used in dogfood, causing seizures in some dogs!
curt hamrell (Wed Sep 16 14:24:26 EDT 2015)
I too am highly allergic to rosemary. I find it difficult to validate that rosemary has been added into the food source. It is a guessing game as to whether rosemary is in the food, as most likely rosemary is not mentioned in the ingredients, very frustrating and as I have an epi-pen, can be life threatening. I must be safe and cook all foods from scratch. If the ingredient words have "natural" or "spices" then I cannot take a chance as I do not know what is in these ingredients. I contacted Frenches for mustard and Heinz for ketchup, and both will not tell me whether rosemary is in the ingredients. I must provide a doctor's note before they allow to expose their ingredients, to say yes or no. This is a problem! I re-iterate that absolutely all ingredients should be listed on labels to protect those with severe allergies!!!
Phil (Sat Jun 27 12:05:48 EDT 2015)
This is a useless article. The substantial limitations of Rosemary extracts - both health and efficacy wise - are well known and its applications are justifiably few. High throughput preservative searches are nothing new and have been pretty useless as well
Benjamin Tozser (Sat Sep 19 16:15:13 EDT 2015)
I need a non-flavored, all natural preservative for a bloody Mary Mix I'm trying to sell. Any suggestions?
Yolcie (Sun Sep 27 00:02:25 EDT 2015)
Hi I am doing some type of spicy dish that deals with cabbage, carrots and vinegar and hot pepper. Also two others that deal with bean, flour and baking soda and the other is flour and spice and baking soda that I deep. My question is what type of preservatives should I use for all three because I am in the process of putting them out there for people to buy but I don't know what preservatives to add to them to last longer then 7 days?
Auntie Markovnikov (Tue Sep 29 08:45:04 EDT 2015)
Why add a preservative? From the listed ingrediants it seems to me you could just let it ferment and then claim your very own kimchi recipe.
rohit vohra (Sun Sep 27 22:47:41 EDT 2015)
Hello sir,Please recommend us the natural preservative for toothpaste , it would be awesome if i can get even certified organic natural preservative, thanks
Sanford Kirksey, PhD (Thu Oct 08 15:21:44 EDT 2015)
Whwn considering the use of natural products as preservatives, there is one other potentially important consideration - food allergies. the possibility of a consumer being allergic to such preservatives makes fully-descriptive labelling a must. Consumers have demanded (and received) such labelling precautions with the "chemical" preservatives (BHA, BHT, EDTA, and the like). The same level of consideration needs to be pursued with their natural substitutes. The challenges of fully describing natural products are formidable, given their chemical complexity and variability; still, a rational approach must, in my opinion, be developed.
Jacob Dalton (Wed Oct 14 00:58:58 EDT 2015)
Hi I am working on a cold coffee drink that involves milk, sugar and coffee. I do not want to go the traditional route of HTST to increase shelf-life as this ruins the flavor of the coffee. I am certain there is another way of going about this but I am having trouble figuring it out. Any help or leads would be appreciated!
Theresa (Fri Oct 16 11:27:27 EDT 2015)
We make and sell organic crackers. We currently get an 8 to 10 week shelf life. Is there any way to improve on that and still be organic?
Nancy (Tue Oct 27 03:15:06 EDT 2015)
My name is nancy, I am from Kenya in Africa. I am very conscious about health and i like eating natural food. Recently i learned how to make virgin coconut oil in my house and its wonderful since am no longer buying the expensive oil hence saving alot. How can i preserve my oil to have a longer shelf life. anyone please help, my email address is kanicy98@yahoo.com.
Debbie Ewens (Fri Oct 30 12:40:53 EDT 2015)
Hi my name is Debbie and I make a wide array of jams, jellies, Syrups and Sauces. I am at the moment experimenting with a range of teas made from traditional herbal teas and juices made from natural fruit. I also do some work with red kidney and black beans. I recently developed a sweet and spicy combination of tomatoes and Habanero peppers which met rave reviews but I am unable to guarantee self life. Please give me your advice.
Kavita Rawat (Fri Feb 17 08:38:19 EST 2017)
Hi Debbie,

Pl let me know the chemical free way to preserve jam , I make gooseberry jam from sugar and lemon juice.
Christy (Wed Nov 04 03:09:22 EST 2015)
Anyone find a solution besides this Rosemary extract or tired it and it doesn't work. Please share and help the community! Lol I am looking to extend homemade sauce shelf life. Ingredients contain garlic and green onions. I am asking. Because I know garlic cannot be left in the fridge for too long. Is this true? Not trying to sell it but I have five kids and would love start making batches to save me some hours in a day. Thank you. 123learnwithme@live.ca. Much appreciate it!
agubuzor nkechi (Sun Jan 08 01:43:22 EST 2017)
I need a natural preservative for garlic, ginger & honey juice that will keep the shelf without altering the colour and taste.
Rose Pasden (Fri Nov 27 00:18:31 EST 2015)
Hello
I hope you can help me find a preservative for the pili nuts that we are growing on our farm in the Philippines.
Pili Nuts have a high fat content, and we are considering dehydrating them or roasting them before packaging them for shipping.
We would like to package them in mylar bags for shipping.

If you have some suggestions, please email me so I can learn the proper way to preserve our nuts from going rancid and ruining the flavor and taste.

Rose Pasden
Pili Nut Farms
Rajiv Arora (Tue Dec 01 09:29:46 EST 2015)
hello I am from India & in process to manufacture Amla,Aleovera juice from organic crop pls guide me preservative used for this to maintain its organic properties Thanks
Meka (Tue Dec 01 17:32:43 EST 2015)
Hi, my name is meka Williams. I presently operate a small enterprise which does almond nut, I am at the starting stage so I would like the know different natural preservatives that I could use to keep the raw nuts fresh for a long period of time. I am really in need of your help because I am struggling. I do Jamaican sweet almonds not the American almonds please I really need your help!!
Tiffany (Sun Dec 06 23:36:38 EST 2015)
QUESTION....I am developing a line of facial products that include organic ingredients like fruit, egg whites, and Vegetables , what are some natural preservatives I can use to improve/ extend shelf life?

Tiffany.E.Toney@gmail.com
Cathey Muench (Sun Jan 17 12:37:14 EST 2016)
I have a dog treat that contains chicken liver, sweet potatoes and rice. I am looking for natural preservatives in hopes that I could extent the shelf life. I do not freeze dry them. If you could contact me I would greatly appreciate it. My email address is catheymuench@yahoo.com. Thank you.
Douglas Singer (Tue Jan 19 16:06:17 EST 2016)
I make naturally cured corned beef and pastrami and have wondered if there is a neutral tasting, natural ingredient available that I may use during the brining process to help extend shelf life when refrigerated. This will help me decide whether to go into retail packaged meats.

Thank you...
Elvira  (Mon Feb 08 06:56:46 EST 2016)
Hi! Please I will need your help on baking goods preservative on cakes, cookies biscuits. I'm from nigeria, and this is my email.elvira.ogbeiwi@yahoo.com thank you
Glow (Thu Mar 10 07:16:54 EST 2016)
I produce 100% natural coconut and almond milk. My customers seem to love it alot and are requesting for it all over the city where i reside. I want to bottle my items so they can be on market everywhere in d city. I need advice on a natural preservative i can use which will not tamper with the taste, color or freshness of the product. Please i live in Nigeria. Here's my email: anniestar21@gmail.com.
Jenea (Tue Mar 29 12:11:33 EDT 2016)
Hello! I would like any suggestions for what natural preservatives I can use for extending the shelf life of baked goods such as brownies, cookies, cakes, peanut butter brittle. Please email me at generations.byond@gmail.com. Thank you!
Fazilla  (Sat Apr 09 08:41:28 EDT 2016)
Hi my name is Fazilla from SA I'm in the bakery business & I want to know what I can use to preserve my biscuit for shelf life for a year or more. I would realy appreciate a reply. Thank you.

My email is: fazillab@yahoo.com

suresh (Fri Apr 15 02:51:10 EDT 2016)
Hi this is suresh from india i want preserve batter (slightly liquid)how do i preservs this batter any one help me r give suggestion i need natural preservatives
Shani Simmons (Thu May 05 17:09:31 EDT 2016)
I've been looking for over a year for a natural preservative for my chicken soup. Is there such a thing? I've not been able to market my soup as I want it all natural.
Beverley  (Sun May 08 13:16:24 EDT 2016)
Hello great article I am in the whole foods business and we are looking to extend the shelf life of our natural peanut and cashew butters with a natural preservative please any suggestions would be great. Amakabev@gmail.com
Ahula david (Sat May 14 14:11:00 EDT 2016)
This is really wonderful, and I,d really love to be a part of this for more research
ifiok antia (Thu May 26 09:26:59 EDT 2016)
hey, i am looking for natural preservatives that can extend the shelf life of vegetables in cans for 1yr.
aya (Sat May 28 09:57:20 EDT 2016)
hello, i loved your website thank you so much for the information,i have a question please i am trying to make a graduation project i am making my internship in a small cosmetic company and i really want to stay and do the graduation project in it,but im kinda lost im trying to find a new idea and what i had in mind that i could use the garlic as a preservative in shampoos or sth like a natural surfactant with other substances maybe..please tell me what you think and what i can do for my graduation project plzz your help is highly appreciated thank youuuu
Saidat (Thu Jun 09 08:04:42 EDT 2016)
this write-up is informative. plz, I need a natural preservative agent for natural fruits and spices juice & drinks. my products shelf life is presently 24hrs with refrigerator. I need a natural preservative to increase the shelf life. thanks.
Anthony Jose (Sat Jun 11 17:44:02 EDT 2016)
Hi, I am about starting an organic food drink business but need to safely and naturally extend shelve life. Can you help with any clues. Some of my products are roasted corn beverage and tiger nut milk. Please help.
Angel (Thu Jun 16 22:26:34 EDT 2016)
Hi anthony I am starting my own beverage company as well and I am looking for someone to help me with the shelf life extension let me know if you find anything or shoot me an email. My email is leyvaangel00@gmail.com thanks
bolade (Mon Jul 04 10:37:13 EDT 2016)
pls I am into legume, shorgum , pulses and tuberous food granulation business. any perfect preservatives for grains to boost shelf life to at least 18 months
Mavis s Mensah  (Sat Jul 09 20:22:44 EDT 2016)
I'm Mavis from Ghana please I need you to help me with how to use natural preserve for my local made pepper sauce since I read about Rosemary as natural preservation for food and how to extend my home made cookie to a year shelf life thank you
Nayab  (Sat Aug 06 04:01:49 EDT 2016)
I'm Nayab and I would appreciate if you could help me I'm doing curry sauces I need a natural preserve to use please can you advise me. Thanks
Gerald (Mon Sep 05 05:31:28 EDT 2016)
hi am Gerald making a sweetened fermeted tea and would like to know the best preservation methods to use to give it a long shelf life of 1year and above as well as reduce on the co2 .
Jennifer  (Thu Sep 08 11:56:47 EDT 2016)
Hi, I'm looking for natural preservatives nut milks to extend shelf life.
I'm a start up!
Sandip (Sat Sep 10 01:42:05 EDT 2016)
Hi Can we use these preservatives for alovera juice instead of chemical preservatives?
Thanks in advance
Jerome Banks (Thu Sep 22 00:16:40 EDT 2016)
I have a high protein, low carb bakery of mostly cookies, brownies and muffins. Would love to get an all natural preservative. You can email me at jerome@keetopia.com
KS  (Mon Sep 26 22:21:29 EDT 2016)
Hello, just looking for natural organic preservatives for the shelf life of Fresh Fruit Juice. Currently without a natural organic preservative, the shelf life in the refrigerator is 3-days!
Anna-Maria (Thu Oct 06 22:07:42 EDT 2016)
Hello, i've been selling freshly made organic juices to my clients and they enjoy the taste and benefits. The shelf life is generally 3-4 days once refrigerated. If i make i make it before the order to store i'll have to freeze it and wait for it to defrost, yet the shelf life is still 3-4 days once defrosted. This is clearly an inconvenience if i want to wholesale my product to groceries and so on. i'd like to stick to my standard and use 100% organic produce. Can you help me by telling me the organic preservatives that can be used to extend the shelf life for a longer period.
Rich LL (Mon Oct 10 10:36:26 EDT 2016)
hi there what kind of preservatives to put in ginger juice and how long would it last

Thanks
wassajja (Tue Oct 11 15:37:08 EDT 2016)
I found it so educative and interesting to wards my dream of starting a company making organic juice in my country Uganda.
for how long can rosemary extract extend shelf life of juice?
Nela Patel (Tue Nov 01 21:15:12 EDT 2016)
Hi There,
I am making a Chai Syrup that doesn't have very much sugar, it contains black tea and spices, honey, sugar and a little salt. I believe cloves helps as a natural preservative. At the moment the product has a shelf life of 2-3 weeks regenerated. Please can you tell me what natural preservative/s can be use so my product doesn't need to be refrigerated? Please email me. I appreciate your response many thanks Nela
Enny (Fri Nov 11 17:52:49 EST 2016)
Pls I need a preservatives that can preserve stew on a Sealed plastic for like 3 months. I'm from Nigeria
Nkosephayo (Tue Nov 15 20:37:18 EST 2016)
hi there,
I am a food science student and I am from Swaziland. I am engaged in a project that manufactures tea bags made from bitter gourd, and our concern was that of extending the shelf-life of these tea bags so that they are supplied all year round. so may you please help me get a natural preservative that will fill this gap. any contributions can be forwarded at nkosephayomanyatsi@gmail.com

thanks in advance
Anne Jackson (Thu Nov 17 17:43:49 EST 2016)
Hello - I, too, am looking for a natural preservative for an organic food product. Did any of you receive a reply from someone? I can be reached directly at annemdreier@gmail.com. Thank you in advance!
Raheel Sharif (Fri Nov 25 07:31:31 EST 2016)
please help me i am planning to make the juice blend of sweet potato and carrots so please guide me to preserve it for longer time any preservative either natural or synthetic
Aaron Wheadon (Wed Dec 07 09:53:52 EST 2016)
Hello everyone - to @ Melody M. Bomgardner a very nice article done by you back in 2014. Seeing all these comments it makes me sad nobody has responded to the queries for help. My name is Mr. Aaron Wheadon, I am the Executive Director for EMEA for Kalsec, Inc. We are the #1 leading supplier of rosemary based antioxidants in the world, being the first to produce an antioxidant based off of rosemary. Our products are grown on our own farms, using our own seed, growing, harvesting and extraction methods. We include all the compounds that are found naturally in rosemary and would love to assist any on here on need help. My email is awheadon@kalsec.com or you can find further information at www.kalsec.com including research papers and further information about us.
Amey Sonavani (Sun Dec 11 02:46:42 EST 2016)
Hi there,
I have recently started my cold pressed almond milk business and we are in search of a natural preservative which can not only add shelf life to our products, but also enhance and/or not disturb the flavor/taste. Please help me out. Would really appreciate.
Rahmathulla (DC Foods) (Sun Jan 08 09:03:23 EST 2017)
Hello. I am a chapathi (Indian flat bred)Manufacturer.l want to make my chapathi longer period life without freezing or camical. Can help me.
Raja M (Sun Jan 15 08:26:11 EST 2017)
Hi i am Raja from india. I want to know the Natural preservatives that can be added in south indian snack foods (such as mixture, pakkoda, chakli, chekaralu) to extend shelf life of a product upto 45 days. Currently my product life is just 10 days i want to increase it to 45 days. Please suggest
James Cockburn  (Thu Jan 19 03:34:19 EST 2017)
Hi. I have a butcher shop and am looking to use rosemary extract in mince, burgers, sausages ect. Can you recommend a usage rate? Thank you in advance
Bob (Thu Jan 19 13:20:04 EST 2017)
I am working with a client (USA) who needs to extend the shelf life of a coffee drink product. Currently he gets 70 days for shelf life. We need to make that much longer 1 year would be ideal but any extended life above 70 days is worth looking at.
Hoping mentioning it here I might get some ideas for a all natural way of improving the shelf life with out affecting the high quality taste/flavor.
Okoli Chinyere (Tue Jan 31 14:57:25 EST 2017)
I want to start a small factory for extracting Tigernut milk and I need natural preservative to extend the shelf live of the fresh milk from tigernuts.
Pls can you recommend one for me and I need professional advise too.my email is listed below
Elizabeth  (Sun Feb 05 12:23:29 EST 2017)
Hello ,my name is Elizabeth, am from Nigeria and am about to start tiger nut milk and oil.and also coconut milk and oil.please I would like a preservative to increase the shelf life and am new to this and will like all the help I can get.thanks
Rosemary (Wed Feb 08 17:15:03 EST 2017)
Hello,
I make homemade dog food (moist) with natural ingredients and will want to go commercial,what natural preservatives can I use to extend its shelf life?
Hope to hear from you,thanks.
Jessy (Wed Feb 15 18:38:57 EST 2017)
hi...i'm starting a flavored water business in Ghana using natural fruit and i wanted to know what would be best and safest preservative to use to increase shelf life?
Rauf (Thu Feb 16 01:50:39 EST 2017)
Hi,

i make a turkish bread. i need to know if you have any preservative who make shelf life longer for turkish bread. please advise?