A look at some of the most intriguing
statements and photos that made it onto our pages in 2012
Credit: Sarah Everts/C&EN
Daniel Schildhammer dons an Aouda.X spacesuit prototype for a walk through a cave in the Austrian Alps that serves as a proxy for caves on Mars.
An electron micrograph of a 10-μm-wide cluster of a hybrid material containing CaCO3 and the hydrophobic steroid danazol. The mixture allows for better solubility of the drug.
“If you’re the boss, and you like to play golf, you will find that the people below you play golf too. And if you’re concerned about safety, they’ll be concerned about safety.”
- Bao-lang Chen, Chairman, Formosa Chemical
“If you don’t think, and you don’t try, and you don’t test, then everyone just keeps doing the same incremental stuff.”
- Ronald S. Oremland, senior scientist, U.S. Geological Survey
Credit: Gaël McGill/Digizyme
An artist’s depiction of the cancer-fighting nanoparticle BIND-014. The particle is built from a copolymer (gray) with targeting ligands on its surface (blue) and the chemotherapeutic agent docetaxel (red) encapsulated at its core.
Credit: Sarah Chambers/U.S. Air Force
U.S. team member and silver medalist Sidharth Chand of Detroit Country Day School in Beverly Hills, Mich., prepares for the International Chemistry Olympiad, where high school students compete in exams and laboratory work to test their knowledge in chemistry theory and practice.
“Where Carl Sagan once stood, a thousand blogs now bloom.”
- Paul Raeburn, 2012 recipient, James T. Grady-James H. Stack award for interpreting chemistry for the public
“Cancer cells are a bit like dodgy house builders.”
- Nial Wheate, Senior lecturer, University of Sydney, at C&EN’s Materials SCENE
Credit: Lao Cai/FeatureChina/Newscom
Workers in Beijing wait for orders to destroy a massive pile containing more than 50 tons of confiscated counterfeit pharmaceuticals collected over two years.
Credit: National Institutes of Health
Studies by the Encode consortium found that “junk” DNA holds regulatory functions in its noncoding regions. Pictured is an artist’s rendering of proteins interacting with genomic DNA unwinding from a chromosome.
“One of the best solutions for high oil prices is high oil prices.”
- David Hobbs, chief energy strategist, IHS
“Good science doesn’t happen when people are keeping their heads down. You need a raucous, rowdy discussion.”
- Francesca T. Grifo, Scientific Integrity Program Director, Union of Concerned Scientists
“Back to lab. We have to win the second one!”
- Seungkirl Ahn and Arun Shukla, Assistant Professors in the lab of 2012 Chemistry Nobel Laureate Robert J. Lefkowitz, at CENtral Science blog Terra Sigillata
“An entrepreneur has to love, and I do mean love, what they are doing.”
- Kathryn Hach-Darrow, Cofounder, Hach Chemical Co.
“My passion for chemistry is gone.”
- “Tom,” unemployed chemist
Chemical & Engineering News
Copyright © 2020 American Chemical Society
“We’re doing science at the speed of science, in a world that runs at the pace of Instagrams.”
- John P. Grotzinger, Project Scientist, Curiosity Mars Science Laboratory