ADVERTISEMENT
2 /3 FREE ARTICLES LEFT THIS MONTH Remaining
Chemistry matters. Join us to get the news you need.

If you have an ACS member number, please enter it here so we can link this account to your membership. (optional)

ACS values your privacy. By submitting your information, you are gaining access to C&EN and subscribing to our weekly newsletter. We use the information you provide to make your reading experience better, and we will never sell your data to third party members.

ENJOY UNLIMITED ACCES TO C&EN

Environment

Mold As A Parkinson’s Risk Factor

Volatile chemical released by the fungus induces Parkinson’s-like effects in fruit flies

by Lauren K. Wolf
November 25, 2013 | APPEARED IN VOLUME 91, ISSUE 47

Because only a small number of genes have been solidly linked to Parkinson’s disease, researchers have been searching for environmental contaminants that might trigger the nervous system disorder. Man-made chemicals such as pesticides have been strongly associated with Parkinson’s (see page 11), but scientists are also investigating naturally occurring substances as causative agents. A research team led by Joan W. Bennett and Jason R. Richardson of Rutgers University and Gary W. Miller of Emory University reports that a chemical commonly released by fungus causes Parkinson’s-like symptoms in fruit flies (Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 2013, DOI: 10.1073/pnas.1318830110). The compound, 1-octen-3-ol, is one of the volatiles responsible for mold’s characteristic odor. When the researchers exposed fruit flies to a low (0.5 ppm) dose of the chemical, the insects’ movements slowed, similar to Parkinson’s patients. In addition, dopamine-producing nerve cells in the flies’ brains died, another hallmark of the neurodegenerative disease. The team proposes that 1-octen-3-ol interferes with dopamine transport in the brain: The survival rate of flies with a faulty transport protein in their neurons dropped after exposure to the compound. The results suggest that regular exposure to chemicals emitted by mold—a common problem in water-damaged buildings—might have neurotoxic consequences, Bennett says.

X

Article:

This article has been sent to the following recipient:

Leave A Comment

*Required to comment